We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Ruggles Green

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Ruggles Green

How much do would you typically tip at Ruggles Green, which has is a cafeteria style eating place? You line up to order your food at the counter and then they bring the food to your table.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Ruggles Green

Hi,

Generally, since you do half the work, by doing the ordering, it would probably be a good idea to leave a 10% tip. But,if a person is friendly and hardworking,I always remember my college days working the late shift at Denny's, and tip a bit more. Say we spend 30.00, I would leave a waitperson $3.00 if they just brought the food, and no more. But, if they refill drinks, check to make sure your needs are met, etc, I'd probably leave $5.00.

enjoy Ruggles!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Ruggles Green

Hi Pippi,

Just a note: when we go to places like Panera (which have great salads!), we generally leave the person who brings our food a dollar or two. Some people do not tip at a place like that, and it is perfectly acceptable, as well.

I would go with your instincts, and if you see others leaving small tips, you can do so, as well, if you feel the service was good.

cc,

Cupcake

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Ruggles Green

Thanks Cupcake- this helps. I've been tipping close to 20 % at Ruggles as I did not want to be one of those Europeans who never tip. It makes perfectly sense to reduce the tip to closer to 10 %.

Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Ruggles Green

Honestly I rarely tip at Ruggles as I never carry cash with me and I pay with a credit card. I am not going to tip ahead of time because the service could be terrible, so if I have cash I leave a few on the table when I leave. Europeans don't tip because over there wait staff make a heck of a lot more money than here. I wouldn't call it rude, just different culture.

5. Re: Tipping at Ruggles Green

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:16