We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Hi everyone!

I have a cruise into Galveston on a Sunday and my flight back to Canada in Monday. This leaves me a day layover.

I want to stay close to IAH since my flight leaves at 9am Monday.

There are two chain restaurants that I enjoy, One is Cracker Barrel and the other is Salt Grass. We don't get either of these in Canada and everytime I visit the southern states I ALWAYS make a trip to the cracker barrel.

I did my research and there is a Saltgrass in humble and a Cracker Barrel in Kingwood.

So, a couple questions..

1) what is the humble area like? I see hotels near DEERBROOK mall, any comments on this area?

2) Should I rent a car at IAH ($40 ) to get me to Cracker Barrel in Kingwood or just take a taxi from humble to area?

Now, since I mentioned rent-a-car I could always stay at Airport Hotels just south of Houston because I can drive anyway now anyway? Does that make sense?

Looking for some help here, thanks! :)

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Are you visiting both restaurants? There is also a Saltgrass in Galveston, if you had to choose.

The Humble area is fine to stay in. Some hotels that offer an airport shuttle may offer service within 2 miles, it would be worth checking with them.

A rental car may be cheaper than a taxi since you will need it to wait for the return.

www.travelzoo.com/car-rental/north-america/

www.bnm.com for rental rates

Welcome to Houston!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Thanks for the info about the Saltgrass in Galveston. I was actually there last year when I took a cruise out of Galveston and I really enjoyed it.

this year my cruise is going from Italy to Galveston (a trans-Atlantic cruise) so I arrive in Galveston around 7am. so I figure it would be best to get out of Galveston and head right into Houston when I disembark from the cruise. To me I think that's the easiest... maybe?

Also, I'd like to visit both restaurants. I have a $25 gift card for the Cracker Barrel that I picked up when I was in one last year.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 20:56
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Renting a car will most probably be the best option. There are several motels within Humble and Kingwood. From Saltgrass to Cracker Barrel it is about 5 miles. There is a LaQuinta right on 59 between Kingwood and Humble - that might be a good option.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
500 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

If you get into Galveston at 7 AM, you probably don't want to head into Houston right away. You will be stuck sitting in quite a bit of traffic on I-45. I would try to head into Houston after 8:30. Have breakfast or a cup of coffee, etc. and then head into Houston.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Hi,

I agree with the choice of the La Quinta in Kingwood, it gets great TA reviews.

Saltgrasss has gotten pretty pricey for steaks, and we often go to the Texas Roadhouse, which is about 5 minutes from the La Quinta Kingwood. They have a fun, casual atmosphere, great rolls and good food, at good prices:

www.texasroadhouse.com/locations/find-us

this is the info about the Kingwood location, and you can go back to their main/home page, to read about the restaurant, as well.

We also enjoy Italiano's; it is a family owned Italian place that is also in Humble, right up the feeder from Kingwood, in a small shopping center across from Deerbrook Mall there. They have very good food, generous portions, and amazing home made garlic knots rolls. Plus, great cannoli, for dessert.

www.italianosrestaurant.net/menus/dinner.html

My husband likes Cracker Barrel too, but the last time we went there, there were lots of dirty tables, and we were seated but no one even came to bring us water. After 15 minutes, we left, and went to the Ihop down the road in Porter, TX..much better! Hopefully, it will be a better experience for you all. I understand enjoying certain restuarants you don't have in your home area.

Enjoy our area, and your cruise, too!

cc,

Cupcake

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Thanks for your reply everyone.

In regards to the comment about waiting a while before leaving Galveston. My cruise arrives on Sunday so I'm not anticipating much traffic. The cruise is coming from Europe so with all the customs required I may not get off the ship till 9am anyway?

CupcakeToo, Thanks so much for all your advice. I'll look into the LaQuinta. This is not a hotel chain we have here in Canada (or atleast my neck of the woods!)

Even an ihop would be great. I live in Eastern Canada. The nearest IKEA is an 11 hour drive non-stop. The nearest Dennys is about 16 hour drive. We have no TGI Fridays, PF Changs, William Sonoma, outlet malls, etc,etc,etc. You get the picture! I'm willing to try out Roadhouse instead of Saltgrass. I enjoyed them in Galveston last year so was going to try the chain again.

Not to throw a wrench into this, but I found an even better car rental price for $29 including all taxes for the day. Perhaps instead of humble I'll go to this place called The Woodlands. I seen a few mention it so I googled it and they have a mall there with lot's of shops. Oh my, who would of thought an airport hotel would have me stuck for decisions!

I don't think I'll stay in that area, I'll still stay close to IAH but may spend the day up there instead of Humble.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 04:31
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Hi,

The Woodlands is a very nice area; has some good hotels there, including at Drury Inn, and one or two located right in the Town Center area itself,; though probably cost a bit more.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56764-d106244-…

Drury Inns are a nice hotel chain here, where they say "the extras aren't extras"--they include happy hour with snacks, a good breakfast, comfy rooms and a great staff, at every DI we have stayed at!

If you go to The Woodlands, the Woodlands Mall is a nice indoor break, and they have a Tommy Bahama's, too. Nice bar atmosphere, good drinks, and good food--we love their crabcakes, and the bread is really good.

tommybahama.com/TBG/…Woodlands.jsp

that entire area is fun for walking, shopping and eating--though outdoors, it is pleasant as you can pop in and out of stores with a/c. At night, it is cooler for walking, and they often have bands or events on the "park" there,too.

Enjoy!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

You are correct about the fact that it will be about 9:00a before you get off the ship. If interested you can go to Ikea on the way. You might also like the Galleria area and then go to P.F. Changs and check out the mall. I would not recommend to stay the night at The Woodlands as you will be going to the airport with the morning rush hour traffic. The Woodlands is a nice area to visit but Galleria area will have more.

Here is a suggestion:

Leave Galveston grab a bite go to Ikea. Have lunch at Ikea or go to P.F. Chang's in the Galleria area. Go to the Galleria mall. If interested go to Rothko Chapel (free) and the Menil collection (free). Check in at the hotel in Humble / Kingwood. Go to The Woodlands or check out King's Harbour in Kingwood. King's Harbour is a handful of restaurants by the water (no chain restaurants) or go to Cracker Barrel (after all you have a $25 gift card) - then maybe go to King's Harbour for a drink or desert.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Kingwood, thanks for the suggestion. However No rental cars are available on Galveston on Sunday so I hired a car service to take my from Galveston to IAH which means no stops along the way :(

Just to update everyone..

I went on Priceline.com and used the "bidding feature" and got the Sheraton IAH for $45/night so I'll be staying there. I then rented a car for $30 and will drive up to The Woodlands. It says 30 minutes to get there from IAH is that accurate?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near IAH, Humble to be close to Saltgrass?

Hi,

Sounds like you got a good deal! The time to the Woodlands is accurate, unless you are travelling on a weekday, at traffic times, which are roughly between 7am and about 9am..otherwise, it's smooth sailing. The weekend days are not crowded, either. The drive straight up I-45 is an easy one too; no changing freeways, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

cc,

Cupcake