We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Rice University

Wynnewood, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Visit to Rice University

I'll be bringing my daughter to visit Rice in late August. It'll be our first visit to Houston. We'll only be in town for a few days. Any advice on what we should see, if I want to give her a little taste of what Houston is like and has to offer?

Houston
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Rice University

Do you know where you will be staying and will you have a car?

In the rice area you have rice village which consists of shopping, restaurants, and bars. It is within walking distance of rice university

but keep in mind it is really hot in august. We also have within a few miles from rice some really good museums. This includes the museum of fine arts and the museum of natural science.

Good luck with your visit. Rice is a fantastic university and the area of town it is in is one of my favorite parts of houston.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 15:04
Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
484 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Rice University

Great to hear that you and your daughter are considering Rice - I'm a proud alumni and so obviously biased to you making the choice. If you scan a bit further down in this forum, there have been a few other posts around this exact topic which can provide you with some great ideas and commentary.

If after reviewing those topics you still have questions, please respond back!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Rice University

Kemah board walk, NASA, Galveston. Within Houston itself, Menil, and Rothko Chapel ( both free), other museums and art galleries, Miller Outdoor Theater (free), a play, Galleria Mall (for shoping or just to getaway from the heat), chinatown and the hundreds of restaurants and cofee shops.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Rice University

Hi Philly,

You all will enjoy Rice Village for shopping and eating:

http://www.ricevillageonline.com/

it is really close to the University, so I'm sure your daughter will come to know it well.

If you let us know more about your favorites per food, and if you will have a car (bring your gps, it will make it easy!)., we can give your more info.

I also think you would enjoy a day in the Museum District nearby:

http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org/

If you all need lodging, the Modern is a great place:

expedia.com/Houston-Hotels-Modern-BB.h154318…

the owners are so helpful and kind, and the breakfast is amazing!

Enjoy Houston, and Go Owls!

cc,

Cupcake

Edited: 05 July 2012, 03:56
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Rice University

Most importantly, Rice is a beautiful campus. It sits adjacent to the Texas Medical Center which is an amazing place, in and of itself. Your nicest hotel is also adjacent to the campus .. . Hotel ZaZa. It has gained a reputation as one of the swankiest hotels in town with a lively bar scene.

As other posts have mentioned - the Rice Village is a very pedestrian area with cute shops and restaurants.

A car is a must in Houston ... so a trip to the Galleria and Highland Village might be a good idea. We have incredible restaurants - of all ethnicities. There is a restaurant in West U (Rice Village) called Tiny Boxwoods which is a home run! Highland Village has one of the better Mexican restaurants ... Escalante's and Goode Company Barbecue on Kirby is also a hometown favorite.

Enjoy!

6. Re: Visit to Rice University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 20:45