We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental houston/help

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car rental houston/help

traveling to houston sept just rented a car from dollar car hire through car hire 3000. but am unsure about the insurance, have CDW,Theft protection,3rd party, uninsured motorist,supplementary liability, will I have to take out more at the airport. also how do you pay the tolls with a rented car , can you pay cash at the toll or do you have to pay through the car hire company

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental houston/help

Check with your personal insurance company. I rent over 75 cars per year on business. My personal car insurance covers rentals.

See what your company will cover before you buy unnessary insurance.

You can pay cash at toll plazas. Most rental companys equip their cars with automatic tags. You can use them or keep the cover over them to not use them. However, if you use the supplied tags, they will mil you the bill, and add their own charges. I find it to be rather expensive that way.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 00:39
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental houston/help

Some credit cards also provide rental insurance coverage.

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental houston/help

As the others have said between your personal insurance and credit card you should be covered and will not require additional insurance.

Some toll roads are E-Z tag only and cannot pay cash, so make sure the car has a tag (most do).

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental houston/help

Sorry may have mislead with my inquire am traveling from Ireland the hire company car hire 3000 have given me the insurance with the rental. Have been onto credit card company the do not insure . Not sure if this makes a differance .Thanks to all for your replays.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental houston/help

Hi,

You will need insurance to drive here, and the car company you have hired should be able to provide you with their charges,call them for prices.

There are EZ tags stores, where you can purchase a tag to put in your car; they auto draft from a credit card you apply to the tag. Follow this link to see if it is cost effective for your trip:

https://www.hctra.org/about_locations/

At peak traffic times, there can be long waits to pay tolls, so you might want to look into an EZTag, as you can take it off the car when you leave--if not used, no charge..so just be sure to take it when you return your car. If not EZT, see if the rental company's fees are reasonable,to use that.

Bring your own GPS, and be sure to reload your USA maps beforehand. This is cheaper than renting one.

Enjoy Houston!!

cc,

Cupcake

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
480 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental houston/help

I would ask the car rental company before making a visit to the EZ Tag store. When I rented from Enterprise because my vehicle was in an accident they allowed me to pay for my tolls via a secure website.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental houston/help

your personal car insurance may cover the bulk but their are other potential adminstrative charges the RAC company can claim that your

own insurance policy will not cover. .

8. Re: car rental houston/help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 23:16