We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

My husband and I are flying into Hoby Airport in January for a cruise out of Galveston. I was going to stay in Glaveston, but lucky us there is a USA Cheer competion there the same weekend. So everything in Galveston is sold out, or will be filled to the brim with kids. I was looking at the clear Lake area and I didn't know if this was a good choice or not. I was hoping to get a hotel that had airport transfers available and a bar or restaurant or within walking distance of one. Thank you in advance for any information you can offer!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

Clear Lake is a nice area. (I think there's a Hilton down there that's fairly nice, but have never stayed there.) At that time of year, it's usually fairly quiet, but there are plenty of restaurants open. They're mostly family-oriented, chain-style restaurants in the Kemah area (very near Clear Lake).

If your hotel doesn't provide transport service to the port in Galveston, you can arrange limo service. Yellow Cab has one, offering either a Town Car or a Suburban. You can reach them at 713-236-8877. (I recommend AGAINST using their website, as they don't seem to follow up with reservations made on the website.)

Have fun!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

Clearlake is a safe and pretty area to transit thru if you cruising out of Galv. Kemah boardwalk has good eating places and is a pleasant spot to spend an evening. Not exactly walking distance so you will need a cab. Yellow Cab is pretty reliable and safe to move around in; most of their vehicles are spacious enough for bags; depending on your bags, you may want to request a bigger vehicle. You can request a non-smoking vehicle if you are sensitive to smoke.

There's Hilton and a Residence Marriott near Nasa with plenty of smaller chains. I doubt too many hotels in that area offer airport transfers inclusive; most visitors prefer to hire a cab. The blue shuttles are another option from the airport.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

You didn't say how long you would want to stay in Clear Lake. If you are just looking for a place to lay your head for the night, the Motel 6 on Nasa Road One in Webster is an option. Nothing fancy, but you can catch the Galveston Limosine shuttle from Hobby Airport to the hotel and then again in the morning from the hotel to the Galveston Cruise Port. galvestonlimousineservice.com/cities.html

Again, it's not fancy. There is a Waffle House right in front of the hotel and walking distance to a movie theatre, and across the street from other restaurants (Chili's (Bar), a Mexican Restaurant and a dine in movie theatre - Star Cinema.) We recommend this place based on you not having a car. Clear Lake is a lovely area, and with a car, you can see a lot of wonderful sights, including Johnson Space Center, Kemah Boardwalk, and 5 minutes from Baybrook Mall. Otherwise, the Hilton is nice and on the lake, and about 10 minutes from the freeway. Proably here you would need to cab it everywhere. It does have a restaurant and bar, but is isolated from anything else (again would need a car). There are lots of chain hotels in the area, and would be happy to assist if you can give more details. Clear Lake is nice, and would recommend it as your only option other than staying in Galveston.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

Many of the hotels around Hobby have a package where you stay the night and they will take you to the cruise terminal.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

The area around Hobby Airport is not the best neighborhood in the city. The transportation options are apparently better from there, but far better restaurants, bars, hotels and neighborhoods are available in Clear Lake.

If you check www.hotels.com, it seems there are still rooms available in Galveston for the weekend of the competition. I'd imagine most of the families will be looking for lower-priced accommodations, so you might try either the Tremont or the Harborside, both of which are very near the port.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

Hi Mol,

This Hilton Garden Inn gets good TA reviews; on the link is a place to click and save on a room reservation.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56855-d1545908…

This area is better for enjoying your evening.

hope you enjoy your cruise!

cc,

Cupcake

7. Re: Where To Stay Between Houston and Galveston in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 06:17