We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas cruise Dec 31

Rocky Mountain...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
christmas cruise Dec 31

I have booked 5-day western carribean cruise out of Galvestern. Is planning to fly to IAH Dec 26. Will arrive after 10 pm with 15-yr-old daughter. I am not going to rent a car. Plan to stay till Dec 29 then get a shuttle to Galvesten.

(1) Due to late evening, where should I stay - book a hotel by airport with shuttle or get a cab to stay in downtown hotel? Any suggestions on hotels?

(2) Any shuttle or transportation to Space Centre?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas cruise Dec 31

If you don't mind changing hotels staying close to the airport will be the best. Most of them offer a free shuttle. You pretty much get all the hotels and motels within a 3 mile radius. The following day you will will be best served by renting a car. It will be cheaper too. It is my understanding that Enterprise offer a one way rental (to Galveston). Space Center is close to Galveston, so if you don't want to drive back and forth the day before you go to Galveston stay in Clear Lake / Kemah area (I guess day three).

There are shuttles to the cruise terminal. I am not sure about a shuttle to NASA, but do recall reading about one here. I also remember reading here how a visitor took the public bus to NASA (go to the search and search for it).

Again, my opinion is to rent a car.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas cruise Dec 31

I found it - here it is (from a visitor).

I know this answer probably comes too late for you but others may also need this information one day. First, I advise buying the tickets online since they are cheaper and queue waiting preventer. All bus tours charge full prices only. Second, the truth is that you can only take the city public transportation to get somewhat close to the Space Center. Here is the complete algorithm:

I came to Houston for a visit and it took me 20min on the Internet to figure out how the commuters do it. Maybe some of you will find a better option, but this was my way and it saved me a lot of money. You can use the combination of METRO buses ($1.25) to get to the nearest line of METRO Park and Ride ($4.50) - Route 249 to reach the Bay Area. Go to http://tripplanner.ridemetro.org/ to plan your trip from your address to the stop: 801 BAY AREA BLVD, HOUSTON, 77058. Now comes the tricky part. After you exit the metro you will be 3.2 mi (5.1 km) from the main entrance. You can walk if you have the stamina. It seemed quite safe to me but because of my bad lag I took a taxi ($10.00). Maybe I was lucky to have one over there straight away. Comments on that by anyone local are welcomed since that is the bottleneck of the whole plan. Also you have to be careful about the METRO schedule for the return trip since it is adapted to commuters' needs. However, I founded this option to be a huge money saver. My girlfriend and I spent $43 in total for the return trip.

Other options include:

Option 1. Take a tour bus from one of many travel agencies. There are pick up/drop off tours and those who leave only from certain locations. Make sure you check that. However, most of them are rip off since they charge $100+ per person. I recommend buying only the transport and not the tickets, lunches etc.

Option 2. Take a taxi - price N/A but usually it turns out to be cheaper than most people actually think.

Option 3. Rent a car - price N/A

Have fun!

3. Re: christmas cruise Dec 31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 13:32
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas cruise Dec 31

Hi,

That's a very informative post about transportation,but I'm not sure you want to go through all of that,with your young daughter along.

If you are going to stay in an area for 2 days or so, rent a car, and stay near the Galleria( SonestaSuites, Galleria is a good choice:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g56003-d2200… ). You all can walk to the Galleria, shop and eat. With a car,you can easily get to some of the great museums, etc.

Turn in your car at the airport, then take a Super Shuttle to the Galveston ,and your cruise.

Hope this helps.

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas cruise Dec 31

I recently took a cruise vacation fromThe port of Miami. My wife I flew to FLL Airport instead since the airplane tickets were more economical.

What did we do?

1. We rented a car at the airport location for 1 day only and

drove to the hotel we chose with Airport Shuttle, why? I will explain.

2. The next day we were able to drive to Miami South Beach and some other attractions in Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

2. We stayed at a hotel with Airport Shuttle, Why?

When the time came to turn in the car, we took the car back to car rental place at the airport, they took us back to the terminal and we came back to our Hotel now on Hotel's shuttle.

3. The next day, the Shuttle company we booked came for us to take us to Port of Miami for a round trip fare.

There is a considerable amount of hotels with airport shuttles in the Houston (IAH) Airport Area, Rental car companies & for

Shuttle Transportation from Houston Airport to Galveston Cruise Terminals you can try Vista Shuttles LLC, Super Shuttle etc

I hope this information helps you,

6. Re: christmas cruise Dec 31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Houston