We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy hotel near public transportation

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Skokie, Ilinois
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Economy hotel near public transportation

I am sending a graduate student, on a fixed budget, to a conference at the Houston Americas Hotel downtown Houston. He will be flying into Bush Airport. Would you know of any nice economy hotels, along the public transportation corridor, between downtown and the airport that would be suitable and safe. Is there a way to send him without renting a car, where he could use public transportation to and from the conference?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

The area between Bush airport and the Hilton Americas is not really a great area of town, and I'd be hard-pressed to recommend anything along either I-45 or I-59, even though they'd have economy hotels. He'd probably be better off looking for something along South Main Street or Fannin (just south of the Medical Center). The Metro (light rail) runs close to this area , and runs all the way into downtown.

Someone may have a better idea, but I'd look into that possibility--possibly near the Reliant Stadium, if the rates aren't too high. I'd inquire about proximity to the Metro.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

Have you looked at www.airbnb.com? Lots of folks in the Medical Center area rent rooms to those who have relatives staying at Cancer Center etc. The rates are quite reasonable i.e. $45 and up.

The light rail into downtown runs up Main Street in that area. Anything that also says Museum District is convenient to the light rail.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Houston--TX

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

Public transport in Houston is not the best. Renting a car might end up being cheaper since he will have to get a taxi at some point. But if you really want to minimize the cost, then maybe stay at a motel close to a park & ride - say in Humble (Townsend Park & Ride). There are two motels close to the P&R. He can walk to the park & ride take the bus to Downtown and then walk to the conference (it is a little bit of a walk). Bus fare is $4.50 one way. The motel might have a free shuttle if not a taxi - might cost about $20.00.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

Kingwood1811 is WAY off base. Humble is close to an hour's ride into the Houston central business district (CBD), where the conference is located. All that would do is save the cost of going to/from the airport.

While I've never done this, I'm sure there must be some form of public transportation from IAH into the CBD that is reasonably priced. Try this web site: www.airport-houston.com/Transportation.cfm

Your son could then stay in one of the hotel areas that has been mentioned earlier, have a 15-20 minute light rail or bus ride at minimal cost daily, and avoid having to have a rental car.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 20:28
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

Here's some additional information on bus costs ($1.25 each way from IAH into the CBD) and schedules (from the south side of Terminal C):

ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Pdfs/102-iah.pdf

Your son would, however, have to hop onto the light rail to get to wherever he ended up staying; the cost, of course, would be minimal.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

Humble to CBD is about 20 miles and about 20 min bus ride. Park and Ride bus does not make any stops until down town and will use the HOV lane and is very easy. There are 14 depatures about every 10 minutes from 6:00a to 8.30a. The only issue is the walk from the bus stop to Hilton.

This is a forum to give suggestions / ideas to the original poster not to criticize comments made by others. We would have a lot more participants if they could just give their suggestions without getting criticized for it. Especially when they don't have the facts.

At the end it is upto the person asking the questions to make a final decision.

To the original poster, based on what you had asked, I think Humble is a good option and then to take the Park & Ride (nice coaches with reclining seats etc.). The link given by the previous post does have the schedules of the busses and will confirm the times.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

Doing a little more research, he should get off the first stop at Congress and Crawford and it is a 7 block walk. Also, the motels in Humble should be less expensive than the ones in the downtown or medical center area. Both motels close to the Townsen (not Townsend as I prev stated) look nice from the outside.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

I apologize for the tone of my comment regarding Kingwood's suggestion, but still believe the time is way off. I have driven from Humble to Houston at morning rush hour, and the time was nearly one hour. Admittedly, a bus in an HOV lane (which I'm not aware of on I-59) could make better time, but I find it hard to believe that it could be done in 20 minutes. Further, I wonder if any amenities (restaurants, etc.) are within walking distance of the hotel/motel suggested. The OP stated that she was looking to send her son on "a fixed budget" and "without renting a car"; I was merely trying to make suggestions that fell in line with her requests.

Mea culpa.

9. Re: Economy hotel near public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 10:17