We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

We will be in Houston Monday November 5th (arriving into IAH in the afternoon) and leaving Tuesday morning for San Antonio. We are 29-30 looking to go out to fun bars at night and have a good time. What would be the best area to stay in? I read some reviews that said downtown can be sketchy at night. Is this true? We would love to be able to walk from our hotel to go out. (or are cabs cheap and easy to get?) If there is a cluster of bars/restaurants/nightlife, that would be great as we would probably want to check a few different places in walking distance to one another. Area, hotel and bar recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much !!

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
George Bush...
Houston, TX
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

For your age group, probably the best area to set bars and restaurants would be the Washington Avenue area, just a short cab ride from downtown. There are some decent hotels in downtown, notably the Icon and the Lancaster, but you'd definitely need a cab to get to the Washington Avenue area. It's got a lot of casual restaurants/bars, mostly walkable. Houston doesn't have roaming cabs like NYC, so you'll need to get a restaurant to call one for you.

Another area you could visit is the Kirby Drive area, which is a little further from downtown. It's a little older (30's-50's), and just a touch dressier (Houston is a VERY casual city for the most part), but rests/bars are also pretty close together. If you decide on this area, you could stay at a hotel/motel on US 59 (Southwest Freeway) or Greenway Plaza, and take a short cab ride to get there.

There are just too many bars and restaurants to list--use "Washington Ave" and "Kirby Dr" as your guide, and go from there. If you can't find what you're looking for here, try yelp.com, and I think you can get down to the neighborhood a little easier.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Hotel ICON, Autograph...
1,275 Reviews
Houston, TX
The Lancaster Hotel
The Lancaster Hotel
1,503 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

I just went onto yelp.com and found that Kirby Drive is listed as "Upper Kirby", if that will help you. If you're not familiar with yelp, select Houston as your location, then select "Restaurants", then select the neighborhoods I mentioned. Then you can check the reviews both on yelp and back here.

I hope this is a little more helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

Hi Gene,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out. If we wanted to go to the Washington Ave area, is downtown the best place to stay? Is there a neighborhood closer? Within walking distance?

Thanks,

Sara

Mentioned in this post
Sara's Bed & Breakfast Inn
Sara's Bed & Breakfast...
367 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

Yes DT is the best option to head out to Washington Ave. Other than a taxi you might want to check out the "wave" which is a bus that will pick you up let you go to all the different bars and then drop you at the hotel. The wave goes to Upper Kirby, galleria area too, so you can stay in the galleria area. It is $5 a ride or $15 for all night.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

Sara--

I defer to Kingwood1811 on the transportation, and agree with him/her that DT (downtown) is the best place to stay for Washington Ave. I wasn't at all familiar with the "wave" bus, but it sounds great--a lot cheaper than taking cabs.

Galleria area is probably more glamorous, and has more upscale hotels and restaurants (and fewer bars), but it's further from Washington Ave. The only reason to choose the Galleria area over downtown would be more to do during the day (at least in the immediate area).

Mentioned in this post
The Galleria
The Galleria
4,371 Reviews
Houston, TX
367 Reviews
Houston, TX
lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
863 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

I'd recommend Hotel Za Za. Take a short cab ride to Westheimer, where you can walk between Hay Merchant, Underbelly, El Real, Anvil, Poison Girl, etc.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

Sara--

If you look at a map of Houston, Hotel ZaZa is at So. Main and Binz in Museum District, which is really not close to Washington Ave., but is close to a few restaurants and bars, as lew points out. Most of the places he mentions are on Westheimer, within roughly six blocks either side of Montrose. It would require a cab in both directions, unless you could arrange for The Wave to transport you in that area.

Based on what you said you were looking for earlier, I'd stick with the original plan, but that's your call. Have fun either way.

Mentioned in this post
Houston Museum District
Houston Museum District
633 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
367 Reviews
Houston, TX
lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
863 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

I was just thinking Washington could be pretty dead on a Monday. The places I mentioned on Westheimer have more steady business. Alot of those clubs on Washington aren't even open on a Monday.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

Sara--

Lew makes a good point, and he probably knows more about that than I do, as I don't frequent either area--I just hear about them. You should probably check the hours of some of the rests/bars to see if they're open on Mondays, because if a lot of them are closed, if may affect your decision.

Mentioned in this post
367 Reviews
Houston, TX
10. Re: Fun, Safe Area to stay in Houston, Monday Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 10:16