We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
894 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

8 of us traveling; arriving a Monday in March various times through the afternoon, and departing 10:30 Tuesday morning. Springhill Suites gets the best and most consistent reviews, but it's also like $250 for the night. Likewise the hotels located at the airport are fairly pricey. Ramada IAH south seems to be the cheapest but gets horrid reviews. Is there a happy medium in there somewhere? Look forward to any and all recommendations. I'm hoping to priceline something at the last minute, but for now we need to make some reservations somewhere. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
George Bush...
Houston, TX
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

I'd avoid Greenspoint Mall area--not a very safe area. You might check hotels in The Woodlands or Kingwood areas, both of which are probably within about 10 miles of IAH, safe areas, and probably have shuttle service to/from the airport. Having never stayed at either of them, I can't give you specific recommendations, but at least you'd be in nice areas with something to do in the evening (i.e., nice restaurants, bars, etc.), especially in The Woodlands.

Mentioned in this post
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

There are hundreds of hotels withn a 10 mile radius, so the chances are you can find 2 rooms (I gather 4 per room) at any time. I would wait until maybe late Feb and you will find some deals. Also just for one night maybe think motel rather than hotel. Some of the motel suites are larger and about half price of a hotel room. As the prev post stated Greenspoint area is not that great so don't go wandering about. But if you are going to stay within the hotel pemises then it is okay. For example the old Wyndham (I think a Hilton now) is very close to the Greenspoint Mall but a very nice and safe hotel. You should be able to find something decent like a LaQuinta, or Comfort Suites for about $125 per room.

The issue with staying at a motel is food - can always order a pizza!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

Hi,

Try this link:

http://www.booking.com/airport/us/IAH.en.html?aid=324791;label=IAH-ra23yqOjqcz34QXaWYMqHQS4745119670:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t1:neg;ws=&gclid=CKrCvLDborMCFQu0nQodxg0AiQ

The Hampton Inn IAH gets good TA reviews. You might also consider the hotels in Humble, TX, such as the Hampton, and this Country Inn & Suites:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56010-d226038-…

Great TA reviews, and it is close to Deerbrook Mall, and Asian City there, for great sushi and Chinese food,among other choices. My bet is their shuttle would drop you at the mall. We use this propery for visiting family members, when we run out of room.

hope this helps.

cc,

Cupcake

Mentioned in this post
George Bush...
Houston, TX
Humble
Humble
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

Hi,

I'd avoid Greenspoint, as the hotel you are in may be relatively safe, but you would not want to be wondering about, outside the hotel in that area, looking for drinks or dinner.

Just mho,

cc,

Cupcake

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

Unless you're very unlucky, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a good deal on priceline. I've bid on 3.5* hotels in the area many times; last March I got a night in the Marriott located at the terminals for $71 and a night in the Hyatt North for $63, including taxes and fees. (3.5 stars is the highest offered in the area).

Two of the hotels I've won in the past (the Marriott North and the Hyatt North) are in the Greenspoint area and, as mentioned above, you wouldn't want to be wandering the streets outside of these hotels. But then again, you wouldn't want to be walking around the streets near any of the other hotels in the IAH area, not because it isn't safe but because there's not many bars and restaurants around.

If you want to go out and about, the Woodlands area is a good choice but I don't think any of the hotels in the area offer free shuttle service.

Mentioned in this post
Houston Marriott North
Houston Marriott North
481 Reviews
Houston, TX
George Bush...
Houston, TX
6. Re: Overnight layover at IAH. Need hotel recommendations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 10:18