We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sam Houston Tollway -- how does it work?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Sam Houston Tollway -- how does it work?

I'm renting a car and driving from San Antonio to Missouri City and Google Maps says take the Tollway.

1. How does it work? Do I need to carry change? Is it "electronic"?

2. Do I really need to take the tollway? Is it the most convenient way?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sam Houston Tollway -- how does it work?

No way to prepay. If you travel the route often enough, get an EZTag, it'll let you drive thru the tolls. This tag also works on other TX toll roads, I believe.

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sam Houston Tollway -- how does it work?

There is no way to pre-pay for tolls. They are charged as you use them. You of course could buy an EZ-Tag and then be fine. It requires an opening deposit of $40 and a one time fee of $15. From then on, you'll only have to pay when you are close to depleting that $40 deposit.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sam Houston Tollway -- how does it work?

I grew up in the Missouri City area, and when coming home from San Antonio, I would usually take the exit for Grand Parkway (also known as Highway 99). There are no tolls, and traffic is light. Take this all the way south until you hit Highway 59, and then go North on 59 to Missouri City. Traffic on this route is much better than Hwy 6, in my opinion.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sam Houston Tollway -- how does it work?

No toll booths up here in Tyler From the tollway website:

Why can’t I pay cash on North East Texas Regional Mobility Authority (NETRMA) facilities?

The NETRMA operates cashless toll facilities. All-electronic toll collection reduces operational costs, improves safety, reduces vehicle emissions and speeds up traffic because drivers do not have to slow down or stop to pay their tolls. Customers on NETRMA facilities can pay their tolls using TxTag or Pay By Mail

15. Re: Sam Houston Tollway -- how does it work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 05:15