We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

Hi All,

I will be staying in Houston from the start of Feb to the end of March for a business trip. I have been informed by my American colleagues I should definitely visit the Rodeo whilst I am out here. Having looked at the Rodeo Houston website I am confused as to which ticketing option I should pick!

I am happy to spend up to $200, and have noticed there are numerous ticketing options. Can anyone advise what the most common, best thing to do is when going to the rodeo, i.e. should I buy tickets for any specific dates, or is it better to buy a season pass etc?

From what I can see on the website, it seems the March 17th Concert is one of the main day, so I will definitely be looking for tickets to attend this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

HH

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

(note I'm not sure if tickets are still available in all cases as some events are very popular and sell out as soon as tickets become available - there is a resale market as well. They are announcing the full lineup on the 7th, so tickets for certain days will move very quickly.

The advantage of a season pass is that you can choose to go when it works for you and you aren't forced to set your plans as far in advance. There is a small savings in total.

The passes and tickets themselves will get you access to the carnival and outdoor activities, the rodeo event before the concert as well as the concert. It is possible to buy a ticket for just outdoor activities for much cheaper and many locals do that so that we can enjoy the carnival rides and food.

Depending on your love of the music being played, I'd suggest purchasing a pass or mini-pass now to guarantee you get to attend. However, if you'd prefer to see who is playing and then go to just the few nights that most interest you, then waiting until the 7th will work - just be aware that certain artists (for instance George Strait) will sell out in minutes.

Hope that helps!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

March 17 is the last day for the rodeo this year and there is not a rodeo taking place that day--just the concert. As mentioned above, that will sell out in minutes so probably your best chance for tickets to that one will be in the aftermarket, at a very large price increase. Also be aware that the schools here are on spring break during weekdays of March 11-15, so attendance is usually higher during that period and often the acts that are booked are more popular with the younger patrons.

I think it would be a shame to go and only do the carnival and food--not too many chances in London to see a rodeo, and this is one of the best. Taking in all the components--carnival, food, merchandise vendors (huge shopping area for all things Texas, cowboy and western), livestock show, rodeo and concert is a unique experience. If none of the musical acts really appeals, I would suggest getting the full ticket (if your budget permits) and seeing everything. You can always stay for just a bit of the concert and I think you will still feel you have gotten your money's worth.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

The full rodeo lineup will be announced on Monday, January 7th. From the www.hlsr.com site (official rodeo site), you can get a link to purchase tickets, face value. Tickets go on sale to the public January 12th, I believe.

March 17th features George Strait and yes, you probably will not have a chance to buy those, except from ticket scalpers. I wouldn't even try, unless one of your colleages happens to get tickets for you. Some companies are able to get tickets.

I would get single tickets.

Enjoy the shows and welcome to Houston!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

Hi H,

You don't want to miss the Rodeo! That being said, the venue for the Rodeo and concerts is huge,so you really won't be "close" to any performers,since they are showcased on a stage in the middle of the arena area. Therefore, no need to spend a lot of money on tickets. We like to look for tickets about halfway up from the floor, and above the starting gates/pens,where the bulls and riders are released;always enjoyable to watch them get ready for that 8 seconds of glory!

Try this website for aftermarket tickets:

http://kingwood.bookoo.com/

On the left hand side, scroll down to "tickets" or do HLS&R tickets in the search bar. As it's been said, many people get tickets from their large companies, and not being able to use them all, will sell them on sites like this.

I would try the official website first, and then go to secondary markets.

The carnival is fun (and everyone Needs a hot corn dog!), and the livestock show is worth seeing, as well; with all of its' exhibits. It is definitely worth going into the livestock barns, to see and enjoy all of the different types of livestock here in Texas. Handlers are often open to questions and proud to give information on their animals.

By the way, dress at the Rodeo is casual; jeans and a tshirt or button down shirt are just as welcome as boots, hats and latigo belts. If it's warm, you'll also see shorts and tennis shoes--it's all about being comfortable and having fun.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

cc,

Cupcake

Edited: 06 January 2013, 02:04
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

I agree with Cupcake. Don't worry about getting ticket up close to the arena. Just not necessary.

Two more things. In a huge hall right next to the Reliant Stadium there will be a vendor show that is great. Lot's of western art, clothing, boots, home decor etc. I enjoy that more than the Rodeo. If you are staying in a hotel downtown, you can walk over to Main Street and catch the light rail to Reliant Stadium. The only thing I'm not sure of is if they make an exception during Rodeo nights and give late rides back downtown.

http://www.ridemetro.org/services/rail.aspx

visithoustontexas.com/travel-tools/…

Edited: 06 January 2013, 03:49
6. Re: Rodeo Houston - First time visitor, advice requested

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 05:20