We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night

everton
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
one night

Flying into Hobby, 5pm Monday, one night in Houston...next day visiting Space Centre, then straight on to San Antonio...so, my question is, would people book hotel between Airport and Space Centre, or drive into city centre for the night? We would like to be able to walk from hotel area for a few beers and finish with some Texas bbq.

THANKS...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one night

No need to go to the city center (downtown). Stay the night in Kemah - Kemah Boardwalk Inn is a good option. There is also a HI, some B&B and other options. Several places to eat / drink within walking distance. One thing though, you are not going to find the best BBQ within the boardwalk. Never been to this place - but have herad that T.Bone Tom's has really good BBQ - about 1/2 mile from the boardwalk. So maybe drive to it, have dinner and then drinks along the boardwalk. Kemah is also close to NASA.

From there it is a straight shot along 45 to I-10 (West) that will take you to San Antonio.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one night

I agree with staying that first night down in the Kemah or NASA area, as you won't have to deal with much traffic on the way to NASA.

Tom's is hit and miss, but better than the Landry's Restaurant options on the Boardwalk itself.

I would be at NASA when it opens, that way you can be finished and clearing Houston before the afternoon rush hour begins.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one night

A further suggestion for consideration. While I'm not a fan of Landry's restaurants in general, they have decent seafood, so stay near Kemah boardwalk and eat seafood. Then, after you've visited Nasa, on your way to San Antonio, stop in Luling (right on I-10) and eat at Luling City Market, which is far better than anything than anything you'll get in the Kemah/Nasa neighborhood. If you are interested in going 30 miles out of the way, you could head up to Lockhart, but based on my personal experience at Black's BBQ, I wouldn't go out of the way to try any of the "famous" BBQ places there--Luling is fine, and about 2-2.5 hours west of Houston.

everton
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: one night

Many thanks to those who took the time to respond. Will consider all your suggestions.

5. Re: one night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:18