We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22 hour layover

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
22 hour layover

Hi there!

We are 3 friends, travelling on our way to central america from Canada. We ended up on a flight with a 21 hour layover in Houston (1pm to 10am)

Just looking for some advice on what we should do, etc. During that time.

-Should we stay downtown, or somewhere near the airport?

-Any hotel recommendations?

-Any activities/sights that are must sees? I took a brief look at some of the things mentioned on this sight, but am not really sure what's what. I don't want to try and do too much either, because I know we will be tired after getting up at 3am for our flight.

Any advice is helpful. We are all age 30, on a fairly modest budget, and have never been to Houston or Texas before.

Cheers!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 22 hour layover

Lolo-

First, remember that you're losing two hours in time difference before you ever arrive. Second, Houston is a city that essentially shuts down at 2:00 AM, so there's really nothing to do after that, if staying up all night was even a consideration.

The airport area is not exactly a hotbed of entertainment and cultural activities. You'd need to visit the Galleria area, Downtown, or any of several other areas of the city, depending on what you're interested in.

Hotels near IAH (in Humble or Kingwood) would be less expensive, but any cost savings might be offset by cab fees (roughly $60-$70 plus tip) to downtown if you decided to stay out there and taxi into town to get your entertainment fix.

Give us an idea how you want to spend your time, and some of us might be able to give you better suggestions.

Welcome to Texas!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 22 hour layover

Thanks for the info.

I feel that staying downtown is probably best- but the distance to the airport is quite far, is it not?

Our biggest interest is probably food- we love eating!

Other than that I'm interested in walking around interesting neighbourhoods, parks, window shopping in funky stores, etc.

I was thinking we would get dinner/drinks somewhere and then be in bed by midnight to get some sleep before our flight the next morning.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks again!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 22 hour layover

If you like to eat check out B4-u-eat.com to get an idea of what is out here. Galleria area will be the best to dine and even stay the night. It is about 45 mts from the airport but in the AM you will be going against the traffic. Also, the cheapest will be to rent a car for the day. If in the Galleria area you might have to pay for parking.

Kingwood has a nice water front (lake) area with about 5 restaurants. All these restaurants are very decent. Several other one off decent restaurants in theis area too from fine dining to fast food.

The nice thing about the Galleria area is it is cramped with hundreds of places including window shopping at the Galleria Mall. There are two hotels and several restaurants within the mall itself.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 22 hour layover

IAH is only 22 miles from downtown--about a 30 minute drive in non-rush hour traffic.

You could also have a look at The Woodlands, which is about the same distance from the airport, but north, away from the city. There is a small waterway there, with several different restaurants and a couple of bars and wine bars. There is a mall as well as another pretty interesting shopping area called Market Street. There is also a Marriott Hotel there from which you could walk to most of these things--not sure if it would fit your budget but convenient. The only drawback is that you would be in rush hour traffic going back to the airport the next morning, unless you are travelling on a weekend.

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 22 hour layover

I like the Woodlands idea for a short visit and being close to the airport. Sharing a taxi there should be under $40 or $50 total, one way, but a nice hotel may offer a free airport shuttle! Otherwise, car rental is cheap ( only about $30 to $40 for 24 hours) just do not leave any luggage or items of value visible in the car or it may be broken into, wherever you are!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 22 hour layover

The Woodlands is a separate small city which has its own charm. The Galleria area has a concentration of some of Houston's top restaurants (many within a 1-2 km walk) and shopping. "Funky" shops are probably not something you'd really find in either area, but I'd say the Galleria has a much wider selection of shopping under one roof than any place other than Mall of the Americas.

The cab ride to/from the Galleria is probably a little more expensive than to/from the Woodlands, but I'd be willing to bet hotel rooms at comparable rates can be found with a little effort. The selection of restaurants/bars in the Galleria would FAR exceed that of the Woodlands, but you'd enjoy either place.

Traffic-wise, I'd estimate no more than 45 minutes from a Galleria-area hotel to IAH in morning traffic unless there's a major accident of some sort, and the cab drivers are usually aware of those, and can take an alternative route.

You'll have a great time whatever you choose--both areas are safe as far as walking around, and you won't have to go far from either one to find fun!

7. Re: 22 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 06:16