We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do with teen

New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
things to do with teen

Hi -- my 16 year old is in the hospital in Houston, and I expect on my next visit -- she'll be able to stay overnight in the hotel.

She is excited just to go see a move --- but I would love to surprise her -- what other fun things are there to do in the area? (other than shopping, which I'm sure she'll want to do!)

She's not into sports -- but probably anything tamer than bungee jumping would be great ;-)

Thanks for the help

Austin
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do with teen

The museums and Imax are fun.

The zoo, Cheescake Factory is in the Galleria

I think they have a "Build-A-Bear" store there also.

Shopping is fab.!

The rodeo is FUN www.hlsr.com. Maroon 5 is there in March.

lapote, tx
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do with teen

There is always the Galleria for shopping and just people watching. You may want a short drive to Galveston, just riding the ferry is fun and cheap, then ya'll could walk the beach, neat restaurants too. If the weather is cold and wet, you may want to go to Jillians or Dave and Busters. Both are restaurants with lots of game room stuff for the older child. IF you go after 10 pm she won't be able to go, it is for over 21 then.

Like mentioned in another response, the museums are plentiful, and the zoo is really pretty nice, but again, depends on the weather.

Lots of putt-putt, go kart places around. Can go over to KEmah (not as far as Galveston) and walk the boardwalk, ride the rides and play the games. The restaurants there are pretty good too! NASA isn't far from there either.

Houston has lots, but like most places, has more if you spend more.

Have a good time!

west houston
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do with teen

try our awsome zoo or see a show at the worthom theatre.

you could take her to see an imax show at the science museum.

theres other things are also cool at the science museum like the butterflie exibit or the um...im sorry i dont remember the name of it but the dome thing that has the shows about the stars. the regular exibits are cool to ecpecialy if you havent seen them before. we have the herman park wich is always fun too. just eating at the park is funny ecpecialy for someone who has been inside for a long time. there are cool little shops downtown and some reallly good resturants (try biraporetis mmm always a great pplace to eat). you could take a tour of reliant center.its huge!if your intown right now (march 2005) then try the live stock show.(the tickets for the actual rodeo are more than likely sold out.) they have cool carnival rides too,im preety sure she'll be able to go on some. the livestock show is the most fun thing to do in houston in the spring. (that or see an astros game) i hope i've been of some help. best wishes to your daughter. :)

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do with teen

The Zoo is pretty good, and there is a new aquarium downtown with some rides, etc... Lots of folks like the Galleria, even if it is just a mall.. But there is lots to do in the area.

5. Re: things to do with teen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2005, 11:29
Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: things to do with teen

The museum of natural science in hermann park might be an ideal solution for you. As mentioned, it contains the Cockerell Butterfly exhibit, in which you can wander among the butterflies in a semi-tropical environment, as well as a planetarium, Imax theater and the usual gamut of skeletons, gems and seashells. The science museum generally has at least one major exhibit of an anthropological nature. These exhibits change, so you'll need to check with the museum. The science museum is in Hermann Park, which also contains the aforementioned zoo. If your daughter is at all interested in art, there are two major museums -- the museum of fine art houston and the contemporary arts museum -- in the same area. (Hermann Park is just a few minutes from the Texas Medical Center via the train, incidentally. The aquarium, which a previous message mentioned, is downtown (as are the theaters, live and movie) and reachable by train. I would note that the aquarium, though it has fish and a small carnival area is really a commercial enterprise centering around a restaurant. There also is a medical museum a few blocks from the Hermann Park complex, although my impression is that it's directed to children younger than 16. I presume -- possibly mistakingly -- that you are looking fairly mainstream activities that are conveniently located to the medical center. If you have a car, Space Center Houston, a nasa-oriented museum is near Clear Lake, about half an hour south of downtown Houston. There are also quirkier activities, the Orange Show comes to mind, that might be of interest. Rather than describe the orange show, I'd just direct you to its website. Google for Orange Show Center for Visionary Art. I hope this helps