We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

Any suggestions on what to do for 5 + hours?

Also we have 1 hr 45 min on way home.

landing Terminal E and leaving Terminal C.

Will this be a problem? Of course assuming our flights are

on time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

5 hours is really not enough time to do anything. Best stay at the airport and go to a nice restaurant / bar.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

I take something to read or a device to get on the Internet. There are lots of table service restaurants in the terminals - that can kill a couple of hours. I have been known to visit other terminals, and just people watch.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

5 hours isn't really enough time to leave the airport or anything. There are a couple of good "Texas" restaurants in the airport that you could try including Pappas BBQ and Pappasitos. Pappasitos is in Terminal E, can't remember where Pappas BBQ is...

An hour and 45 minutes should be plenty of time to get from Terminal E to Terminal C, provided your flight arrives on time. There are shuttle trains between the terminals.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

E and C are side by side. As long as you don't have to clear customs/immigration, 1 hr 45 min will be plenty of time.

5 hrs isn't enough time to leave the airport. Go to Pappadeaux in terminal E, have a drink or enjoy some seafood (it's crawfish season!), read a book, get a massage, and people watch.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

Hi,

If you are coming in from Vancouver, you are pre-cleared by US Customs,as you leave Canada, so no need to worry about time spent in Immigrations.

If things go well, everything on time, you could take a taxi to eat at a local restaurant. We enjoy the relaxed ambience and good food at Italiano's, about 15 minutes by taxi, from IAH.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g56010-d8101…

Their home made garlic knot rolls, and penne a la vodka with chicken are great dishes, among many good items. Take a cannoli to go,to eat on the plane!

Just get the phone number of the taxi, so you can call them about 30 minutes before you need them, so you won't have to wait awhile for them.

mangia!

cc,

Cupcake

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

I too have a 5 hour layover at IAH and was wondering how yours went? Did you get to leave the airport? I read that there is an easy to use shuttle that takes you right to downtown. The half hour ride should give me plenty of time to see some of downtown Houston.

7. Re: 5 hour layover in Houston (IAH)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 07:15