We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover in Houston

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
7 hour layover in Houston

Hi, I will be travelling from Boston to Cancun mid-April and the most cost effective airline ticket has a 7 hour layover in Houston. Is it feasible to rent a car and do or see some fun things in Houston in that time frame?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour layover in Houston

Valerie--

Considering that you'll need to be back at the airport 2 hours ahead of time for an outbound international flight, and that you'll need time to travel to/from the car rental agencies, complete the paperwork, which realistically will take you another hour, and add to that the fact that the airport is 30 minutes north of the city (an hour round-trip), you've only got about three hours to "do [and] see fun things in Houston."

If you wanted to spend the time most effectively, you might consider taking a cab into, say, the Galleria area (round trip cab fare should probably run about $110 plus tip, as compared to whatever car rental would be), but would save you a lot of time. The Galleria has all sorts of shopping, restaurants, etc., and it's easy to get a cab back to the airport at any time.

If you rent a car, you're really limiting your free time, but possibly hiring a limo for a guided tour is a possibility. I'm sure the cost wouldn't be inexpensive, and I'm not familiar with companies who do planned tours, but you could put your own together and they'd drive you.

Good luck, and let us know if you need more help.

Boston, MA USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour layover in Houston

Thanks for the info, Gene. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hour layover in Houston

What time of the day will you land and then depart?

Cost of renting a car or taxi will not be worth a trip to the Galleria or The Woodlands. Humble (Deerbrook Mall) is only about 15 mts away. If you want to this would be a good spot to eat, drink, get a massage or watch a movie. Round trip taxi will be about $40 - $45. If you plan to do this remember to get a telephone number for the taxi and call ahead for a pick up as taxi stands in Humble are very limited.

4. Re: 7 hour layover in Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:18