We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lebanon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

Will be travelling (2 adults and kids 14,12) to Houston, San Antonio, Port Aransas and back to Houston in early August. Was wondering if there's anything we should stop to see between Houston and San Antonio or just make the drive straight thru and use San Antonio as a base for excursions. Thinking of 2-3 days in Houston and 5-6 days each in San Antonio and Port A.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

Easiest just to drive staight thru and get it over with.

Welcome to Texas!

Houston
Level Contributor
160 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

Make sure to take a pitstop at Bucee's in Luling. They're known for having the cleanest restrooms on the road, plus beef jerky, fudge, deli, and Texas Souvenirs. It's our family tradition to always stop in there when we go to San Antonio.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,266 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

restroom break...Buc-ee's for something kitchy-various locations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSdkEDU_TGI

----

stop off in Schulenberg for Czech and German homemade pastries....from Houston, exit Schulenberg, turn left under the overpass, 2nd light, Kountry Kitchen

Luling for BBQ lunch

you could turn off at Seguin and go 14 miles to I-35 to New Braunfels /Gruene TX ....water sports such as tubing, Schilterbahn water park, as well a quick visit to Gruene TX (simply take I 35 into SA)

Gruene TX free music daily, general store, restaurant terraced over Guadalupe River

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKA4nm_2_8Q

for a change of scenery, you could take I35 back to Austin and take a different road back to I-10..for ex. Hwy 71..just look at a map. Edges of SA and Austin are just over an hour apart..you could incorporate the capital, state museum etc if interested

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

City Market in Luling.

Lebanon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

Thanks for the ideas!

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

On your way up or back, you might check out some of the hill country bbq. My personal favorite is in Lockhart (Black's) but there are any number of great places very close to I-10 starting near Luling.

Houston
Level Contributor
786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

It is a bit farther off I-10 but if y'all are interested, the Shiner brewery tour is great. We did that one year after a couple of days at Schlitterbahn and it was a perfect ending for the trip. Our kid was about 10 at the time and it was very cool to him, too, even though he didn't get to sample any of the beers like Mom and Dad did.

Something else that is fun to do and not too far off from SA is the Wondercave. It is a touchable and not too physical caving tour that has the right amount of hokey-ness to it for kids to love. There is a very cheezy feed-the-animals zoo there too--we went there on our honeymoon last year and the pix and afternoon were great. (Bonus--there are always online printable coupons.)

I am delighted to learn that there is now a Buc-ees between Hou and SA. I have been itching to take a day trip out that way and we might have to go in the next few weeks.

Lebanon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

I didn't know about that brewery. Thanks for the idea!

houston
Level Contributor
2 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

There is a weeks worth of things to do between houston and san Antonio. Some are right along the freeway as in Schulenberg, ( thats a full day to see the amazing painted churches around the area) others like Shiner( of beer fame) and brenham, (another full day of site seeing) are a bit off of I-10. Personally, I would avoid Buckee's like the plague, unless you are about to run out of gas. Instead stop at Lulings BBQ right on the main square for lunch Its just a few minute drive from I-10 to downtown Luling. There are a few nice shops next door to walk off lunch before you get back in the car.

Columbus is another nice place to visit and of course La Grange has a great little touristy farm to visit if you have kids.

Enjoy

10. Re: anything to do between Houston and San Antonio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 05:15