We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston to Lafayette scenic route

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Houston to Lafayette scenic route

Hi

Colinaz posted the following back in 2007.... Is this still a good scenic/safe drive from Houston to Lafayette?? Is there a similar scenic route from New Orleans to Jackson/Memphis?? time is not an issue and I would perfer to stay off the Interstate highways..still getting used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road ;-)...

Re: Drive from Houston to New Orleans

22 September 2007, 4:20

Agreed on Mulatte's in Breaux Bridge. It gets crowded though.

I-10 between Houston and Lafayette is numbingly dull. It's only east of Lafayette when you hit the swamp bridge that it gets reasonably interesting. You also hit a similar swamp bridge (although not as long) just west of the New Orleans area over the floodway.

There's a back way you can take that follows the coast that's pretty interesting. You get off in Winnie on TX 73, head east to Port Arthur, then south on TX 82 and over the Sabine Pass Bridge into Louisiana, through Cameron (there's a ferry east of Cameron that could cause you some delays, but it's free). 82 will drop you off in Abbeville and you can take US 167 north back to Lafayette and I-10. Or you can take LA 14 east to US 90 and take the back way into New Orleans, although it's really not that interesting. This route will add at least an hour to your drive though if not 2.

BTW, Baton Rouge has ridiculous traffic. The city doubled because of Katrina and the road system has many years before it catches up. If you don't want to sit in traffic, there are a couple of much more scenic drives you can take through the city (like Highland Road through the LSU campus) that'll at least get you off of the freeway. If you go through BR on a weekday, you will get stuck in traffic.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston to Lafayette scenic route

I've never tried that route, but driving on the interstate highways may actually be easier because the highways are divided. In other words, it's virtually impossible to drive on the "wrong" side of the road on the interstate, whereas on regular highways, they often are NOT divided, meaning a mental lapse could put you on the left side of the road (particular after making a turn onto another road).

The last time we drove through Baton Rouge (about 18 months ago), traffic was fairly heavy, but it was raining, which could have easily affected traffic. This was on I-10. I believe the above report was written shortly after Hurricane Katrina hit the New Orleans area, so southern Louisiana was indeed in a total state of turmoil. It's far better now, although not great.

Good luck.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston to Lafayette scenic route

Re Houston to Lafayette--I agree with Gene that the interstates are the easiest roads on which to drive. Once you are on, there are really no worries about being on the correct side of the road--all traffic in all lanes is going your way and most of it is divided by grassy medians, guardrails or concrete barriers from traffic in the opposite direction.

I've been on parts of that drive outlined above, especially the stretch around Winnie, Port Arthur and Sabine Pass. It's not that different than the scenery you see along the interstate, and it's still pretty boring. Not to mention, as Gene does above, you are on smaller roads, not always divided and it will require lots of concentration on your part to keep to the right.

I would suggest an alternative. Google Great River Road and you will be able to go to a website about the GRR, which sort of parallels the Mississippi River through the US. Go to the Louisiana section and you will see a section outside of New Orleans with lots of plantation homes. If you are looking for scenic, this might fit your needs. You will be on smaller roads, but also have the opportunity to tour a plantation home, if that interests you.Not as long on the smaller roads than Houston to Lafayette. Then on into NO.

For your other request about a route from NO to Memphis, you might post on the Road Trips forum and the Mississippi forum. We have done that drive through Mississippi on I-59 (which goes further east than you would be if Memphis is your destination) and there's not a lot there.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston to Lafayette scenic route

Thanks for your replies... I am a farmer here in Aus so I enjoy looking at farms/rural areas, small towns etc. After driving around Houston for 3 days before setting out to Lafayette, I should be OK with driving on the correct side of the road.. I will be looking to drive down the GRR as I think that will be a highlight of our trip having just watched the movie Jango..

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
466 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston to Lafayette scenic route

Just a heads up, if you stay on I-10 from Houston to Lafayette they are doing extensive road construction on the east side of Beaumont. Building a new bridge over the Neches river between Beaumont and Rose City/Vidor. Please avoid at night (hard to see the lane changes) and go slow (very narrow lanes going over the bridge). Once your over the bridge, the lanes widen back out to a six lane, divided interstate.

5. Re: Houston to Lafayette scenic route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 07:18