We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around houston

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
getting around houston

hello everyone .

we are visiting houston at end of september.this is a 3day visit , and our first time in city and we are looking for a good city tour bus , and also can the nasa space centre be reached by public transport? all help would be grateful

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around houston

I have never taken these tours, but here are some offered in Houston

www.visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/tours

and here is a previous thread about getting from downtown Houston to NASA via Metro (bus). Read the 6th response for the most direct answer. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g56003-i148-k50259…

Welcome to Houston!!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around houston

Here's another link which may be helpful. As knr mentioned, I've never taken one of these tours, nor have I spoken with anyone who has, so as they say in Latin, caveat emptor:

visithoustontexas.com/listings/…

Edited: 23 May 2013, 02:19
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting around houston

You will best be served by renting a car - of course you will have to drive on the right hand, but following another car it is easy to stay of the right side (and not get confused). Tours, taxis will add up fast and will cost you more than a rental. Houston is so spread out that one city tour will either take all day (and more) or you will only see very little of it. I highly recommend a rental - it is not that expensive. Gas (petrol) is expensive to us at $4.00 a gallon, but to you it is about half of what it is in UK. Just looked at hotwire.com, they have rentals under $15/per day with fees and taxes still about $30 on a Sat.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting around houston

+1 for renting a car! I live in Houston at the moment and from one European to another, Houston cannot be compared to typical European cities. Everything is so spread out and public transportation is not as efficient as we are used to.

Rent a car and you will have a much better experience here.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting around houston

Kingwood and Pippi are right in saying that you can SEE a lot more by renting (hiring) a car. The problem is that you have no one pointing out what you are looking at or should be looking at, so you're relying solely on what you're seeing in print in a guidebook, all the time whilst driving on the side of the road you're not used to driving on.

It is somewhat akin to visiting a major European city you've never previously been to, picking up a tour book, and trying to take it all in without a tour guide. It can be done, but which way will you enjoy your visit most? There is no single right answer--it is totally up to you. Good luck whichever you choose.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 01:27
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting around houston

Perhaps a combination is the best? Renting a car and joining a tour.

7. Re: getting around houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16