We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Houston Consulate

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Houston Consulate

Hello, I will be flying in from Tennessee to obtain my student visa to live in Spain. I will be flying into Houston Hobby Airport and the address of the consulate is 1800 bering dr, houston. I have been searching for information on how to get from the airport to the consulate. If anyone could offer me any advice about the public transportation system that would be great. I've already looked on their website, but since I know absolutely nothing about the city, looking at a list of bus stops is not really helping.

Thank you for your help!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

The consulate is in the Galleria area. I would not advise trying to do a bus route. Take a taxi, shuttle service or rental car.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

According to my research you will step outside to curb zone 3 on the lower level of Hobby Airport just outside the baggage reclaim area.

You catch the #88 metro bus to DOWNtOWN for about $1.25 (have exact change). Be sure and ask the driver if you are on the correct bus and then ask him where you need to get off to catch #81 or #82 Westheimer bus from downtown.

When that driver drops you off downtown then you will get on one more bus. Either 81 or 82. Both of them stop at the corner of Westheimer and Bering. Again $1.25 unless the first driver can sell you a day pass. I live in Austin, so I'm not sure. I think he can.

ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/…088-hobby.pdf

ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Pdfs/081-westhei…

ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Pdfs/082-westhei…

Go to Google maps and see where 1800 Bering is. You will get off the bus at the corner of Westheimer and Bering and walk about 6 or 7 blocks North to the Embassy.

Be sure and print out the bus schedules and a good map of the downtown street area because you'll probably have to walk to catch 81 or 82.

If you have any questions, pls ask us here on Trip Advisor posting.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 00:56
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

Thank you both for your help! Due to the limited hours of the consulate, I will most likely have to take a taxi there, but have time to take a bus back to the airport.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

Rental car would be cheaper.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

I'm In the same predicament coming from Nashville. How did u decide to get to the consulate and did they ask a lot of questions or was it really quick once you got there?

Edited: 31 May 2014, 02:46
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

I flew there from Nashville on a Southwest flight and when I got there I decided to just take a taxi, though it was not cheap! When the taxi driver dropped me off I asked for his phone number so he could pick me when I finished because I didn't see a lot of taxis driving around in the area where the building is. I arrived right when they opened and spent maybe 20 minutes there in total. I handed the woman all the paperwork and that was basically it!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

How far was it to the consulate from the airport? I'm in same position and only see a SW flight arriving at 9:05. Does it get crowded? I'm worried, but it's so expensive to get a hotel? Did you do it all in one day?

Ahhh, why do they make you do this IN PERSON haha!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

I did it all in one day, I took the earliest Southwest flight and a late flight around 5 pm just to cover myself in case of delays but that turned out not to be the case. It wasn't crowded when I went but that was over a year ago so I can't really give you current advice on that one. I don't remember how far it was from the consulate. An easy mapquest search can help you with that one!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

HI B,

The car rental route (bring your own gps from home) might be the best deal:

http://www.bookingbuddy.com/c/tab-browsing/db5.html?mode=car&af=1274192#r=&pickup_city=Houston%2C+TX+%28IAH%29&slocation2=2525&pickup_date=08%2F11%2F2014&pickup_time=morning&dropoff_date=08%2F11%2F2014&dropoff_time=evening

Even with the fees they add in, the gas you will use, being able to depend on transportation, and not worry about getting on the wrong bus, it would be worth it. The total shown to me was $59.00, which is cheaper than a taxi,by far. A small car would be good on gas mileage, and easy to navigate and park. Parking near the Embassy will be easy.

When you land, you walk out of the terminal and look for the large passenger bus (like a Greyhound type) that says "Rental Car Center" on it. You ride that free bus about 7 minutes to the big 'central car rental" center we have at IAH. It's very easy access from the road, when leaving IAH, and when returning your car.

Hope this helps you!

cc,

Cupcake

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Houston Consulate

How long did it take you to receive your visa, I applied for mine 4 weeks ago, still no call and I leave next week.