We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

san antonio
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

Hello,

We'll be in Houston next week for a few days and are looking for things to do with a 7 month old, besides the Children's Museum, zoo, and aquarium. Anything else cool? Our outdoorsy? We don't mind just walking around somewhere and him looking, it doesn't have to be interactive. Also, where are the best places in the area for lunch and dinner? Looking for local suggestions, not so much into chains.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

Discovery Green, Herman Park maybe even Memorial Park

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

Northwest Houston is a broad area, where exactly will you be?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

What do you mean by northwest Houston? Inside the Beltway? Tomball? Cypress?

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

If I might semi-hijack the question. I'm probably moving to Houston in August and will be there next week getting my bearings. I'm also looking for food recs in NW HTX, mostly around the medical center, River Oaks and Greater Heights. Asian (buffet OK), local flavor, light fare. $$ to $$$ I know I can find a chain on GPS if we really want to eat at one (Is there a Chuy's in Houston now?). Also, a good place for cocktails.

I don't get to Houston often and I'm not a city expert besides the airports and Galleria area. I so have a TX Tag.

We'll be job interviewing and apartment hunting, so not really interested in touristy stuff right now.

Any and all help appreciated.

Houston
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

-Went to cool restaurant/bar last week

http://www.trinitirestaurant.com/

-We do have a chuy's in river oaks area

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

Wally--welcome to our neck of the woods. First things first, yes, there are several Chuy's locations around town; have a look at the one at 2706 Westheimer which is the River Oaks location. Lots of non-chain places in the areas you mention; a drive around the area will give you names to check out. Have a look at Shade in the Heights for lunch or dinner. For pizza, try Star or Fuzzy's--not exactly in your mentioned areas but still worth the drive IMO. Many places in the River Oaks Shopping Center--La Griglia might interest you. Pass and Provision are getting a lot of media attention right now, as are Underbelly and Uchi (from Austin). El Real (celebrity chef Brian Caswell's place) might be of interest--check out the reviews to see what you think. Monica Pope (another celebrity chef) has opened a new place called (I always get this wrong but you can find it) Bar and Sparrow. Hugo's is also quite good.

I'm sure someone else will come along with lots of suggestions.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

Medical Center, River Oaks and the Heights is not northwest Houston.

We do have Chuy's restuarants. One in northwest Houston between Cypress and Jersey Village. Tthere is another in the Galleria area, near the area you are looking at, near Westheimer and Kirby.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

NW is considered outside of the tollway?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

The best Asian restaurants are on Bellaire Blvd in the SW of Houston.

From the River Oaks area, you can take I-10 or Westheimer to Beltway 8.

Travel South and exit Bellaire Blvd.

Asian restaurants (Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai) can be found in abundance on either side of the beltway.

On Westheimer, there are a number of Asian places, too.

I haven't been to them lately since we have moved from the area.

Kim Son restaurants has a mix of VN and Chinese dishes.

They have four or five locations now.

They are the most popular of its kind in town and have been a staple since the mid 70s.

One location is on Westheimer, not too far from the River Oaks area.

Another popular place is Tan Tan; they just open a second location on Westheimer recently.

They open until 11 PM. (midnight on Sat.)

Near the medical center, there's Main restaurant on Milam, near the entrance to Fwy 59 (known as the SW freeway along this stretch.)

It is another institution since the mid 70s.

Both Kim Son and Mai are well-known to Americans.

From the medical center are, it is not that far to Asian town on Bellaire Blvd. Via the SW Frwy.

There are places in downtown Houston and around Rice Village, but I haven't been to those areas lately, so I can't recommend any at the moment.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northwest Houston - things to do, places to eat

NW is really anything along 290, outside of loop 610