We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
265 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

What are the best Louisiana or Texas cajun style seafood restaurant in houston?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

If you ask 25 people, you'll probably get 25 different answers to this question, but IMHO it's hard to beat Brennan's, just south of downtown. It's an upscale restaurant serving both Cajun and Creole styles, a refined style of dining (gentlemen are required to wear jackets in the main dining room), and is a "transplant" from the New Orleans Brennan's restaurant.

We recently ate at, but did not care for, Tony Mandola's (it generally gets good reviews, by the way), is just west of downtown, and is extremely noisy. More casual restaurants (and not our favorites) include Willie G's and Pappadeaux. All those contained in this paragraph are basically Cajun in style, and offer very little of the Creole variety. Others will offer further suggestions, I'm sure.

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
824 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

I second the Brennan's recommendation. Their brunch features live jazz, and the food and service are outstanding.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

Brennan's is the best, but note that it's priced for the expense account market.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

And worth every penny you spend there!

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

dubai are you looking for "bar no expenses" or "most authentic swamp" cajun?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

Just to set the record straight, Brennan's should run no more than $100/person for a full four-course dinner, exclusive of alcohol and gratuity, and probably more like $80-$85, based on our experience, so it's not exactly a "bar no expense" restaurant. It definitely is, however, fine dining.

We found Tony Mandola's to run approximately $50/person (two courses); Willie G's about the same; and Pappadeaux $35. Many others are even less expensive, but are not of the same atmosphere, selection or quality IMHO.

I should correct something I misstated in my earlier statement: Brennan's in Houston is related to Commander's Palace, but NOT to Brennan's in New Orleans.

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

+1 on Brennan's but as pointed out, it is expensive.

A cheaper (and reliable) option is Floyd's Cajun Seafood. There's four branches; the closest to downtown is probably the one in Sugar Land. http://www.floydsseafood.com/

You can't go wrong with much of the menu. I really like their gumbo and their seafood fondue. Also, Oysters Floyd is an excellent appetizer - grilled oysters with crabmeat and shrimp.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

Hi D,

Reasonable cost, great service, excellent seafood, we like "Little Pappas" Seafood House:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56003-d26…

this is one of the Pappas Seafood Houses, but the smallest and coziest. The waiters are great,and if you don't see what you want on the menu,they will do their best to have it created for you. We like snapper ponchartrain, and don't always see it with the crabmeat, etc as we like it,so we specify what we want, and they do it, beautifully!

I do like the pricier options, but for a combination of good food, atmsosphere, great service and more, Pappas is the place for you!

Hope you enjoy!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

Dubai--since you haven't responded as to what price range restaurant you're looking for, let me suggest my personal favorite for a casual Cajun/Creole place: Goode Company Seafood Restaurant. It ranks #20 (out of 6449) among Houston restaurants, is conveniently located, and is very casual. Here's the info from Trip Advisor:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56003-d48…

Now you've got several choices.

Sealy, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best texas or Louisiana cajun style seafood restaurant ?

One of my favorites is ORLEANS seafood. Owned by a family from Louisiana. This is some legitimate cajun awesomeness! everything is cooked hot and spicy. You wont be dissappointed. Price is medium.

New Orleans motif on inside decorations. They are located at I-10@ Westgreen rd.