We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown to airport

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown to airport

Hi all,

I will be in Houston overnight next week before flying out on a 10 AM flight from George Bush Intercontinental. I was going to stay the night at an airport hotel but after seeing reviews of hotels in the area (how low quality they are and about neighborhood safety) I am now reconsidering staying overnight in the city. How long is the drive from downtown to IAH airport? How much traffic do I have to take into consideration if I'm on the road at about 7 AM on a Tuesday?

Thank you

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown to airport

If you are staying in the downtown area you will go the opposite direction - so no traffic, and will take under 30 mts. Galleria area however will be a problem until you get to downtown - I would say about an hour (to be on the safe side). Humble / Kingwood area is also okay - again less than 30 mts.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown to airport

Barring any accident or horrendous weather (flash flooding, etc.), the trip from downtown (NOT The Galleria area) should take no more that 30-35 minutes by cab (possibly a little less), as you'll be going against traffic, and it's virtually all freeway traffic. If you're returning a rental car, allow an extra 20 minutes or so.

While hotels in the immediate area of the airport are not luxurious (more oriented toward business travelers), those along JFK Blvd. are reasonably safe. The problem area is around Greenspoint Mall, near the intersection of Beltway 8 and I-45.

Have a good and safe trip.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown to airport

If you'd like to stay at one of the airport hotels (and lots of people do that all the time), just plan to arrive later in the evening after you've had dinner. Check in and relax in the room. That way no need to be out and about if you don't want to be.

If you have to return a rental car in the morning, you will drive to the car rental facility (all agencies are located in the same place), which is on the fringe of the airport. Once you have returned the car, you take a shuttle bus to your terminal. All at least 15 minutes for the bus ride, depending on your departure terminal.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
40 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown to airport

Given the fact that you're just staying overnight, I'd suggest taking Gene's advice of staying in one of the airport area hotels. The distance from IAH to downtown is roughly 22 miles, according to Google.

By the time, you get your car, drive into town, get sorted and settled, it will be time to hit the sack. Then, you have to get up early to pack, loaded, drive, return the car, take a shuttle, and clear security for your 10 AM flight.

Sometimes, the cure is more painful than the disease - so to speak. You most likely will not suffer death or any other trauma at a reputable airport-area hotel. Have a nice dinner, relax in your room, and get a good night's sleep.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown to airport

Hi Avja,

The area where the hotels are located, near IAH, mostly on JFK Boulevard, is not a bad part of the city. The hotels might be more expensive there, though, as they are so convenient to the airport.

You might look at hotels in the Kingwood area; Kingwood is a master planned community that is very nice, and there are restaurants, Deerbrook Mall with a theater, and other areas (Like the Lake Houston area, about 20 minutes from Kingwood), that has The Wine Loft, and more, to enjoy. You can find good TexMex ,(El Jalapeno), homestyle Italian food (Italiano's), good sushi (Asian City), and more, near your hotel, as well.

TA has some good reviews of Kingwood area hotels; they are about 20 minutes from IAH, with an easy path to get back to the airport,,for your flight; this La Quinta is well located, easy to find, and has a great staff; we stayed there when we had work done to our home, and the air conditioning was out:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56086-d285808-…

You can usually find specials and good prices, plus discounts on the LaQuinta website, and you can input coupon codes, for an even better price:

discountstory.com/stores/…

Hope your trip goes well!

cc,

Cupcake

Edited: 19 July 2013, 01:09
6. Re: Downtown to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 05:17