We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible guys wknd in Houston

usa
6 posts
Save Topic
Possible guys wknd in Houston

Ladies and Guys. My friends and I are thinking about coming down to see an Astros game.

This would be over Labor day. Arrive Fri. Aug. 30th Depart Mon. Sept.2nd. into Hobby

Some things of note we are all pushing 50. We have narrowed it down to either you or PNC park

in Pitt. . Both of you are non stop easy cheap flights.

So convince me. I have talked with former locals and they say it's a nice area.

Hotels near park. Is area safe day and night ? Things to do besides see game ? Good rest. or music? Bars that are not barely legal little kid hangouts. Any local breweries . Festivals like craft beer or cars, music. We plan on walking,short cab rides or use public transportation. We are not planing on playing golf.

I myself enjoy good Bourbon. So anyplace that makes a real Bourbon drink or has good neat sipping Bourbon would be nice. Long/short would we be able to amuse ourselves for 3 days and nights in your fair city ?

A similar post has been placed in the Pitt. forum. We hope to be booked by this coming Friday.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

Lots of things to do in Houston. Bars, music, craft beers, art car museum, local breweries like Karbach and St. Arnolds, lots and lots of restaurants. Stay in downtown close to the Minute Maid Park and night life can be by walking or short cab ride. However, during the day nothing much to do unless you wander out. Taxi will be expensive so you really will need a renal car.

With the rental you can also head out to NASA, Galveston, Kemah, Chinatown, and maybe even the Galleria Mall.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

Having lived in both places and been to both ballparks, I think Houston has a better dining and entertainment scene than the Burgh. Public transportation is about the same in both places--not comprehensive to say the least so a car would make things better. Good food at the ball park. You will be able to quite easily amuse yourselves here for three days especially with a car. Check out the Inn at the Ballpark for hotel; not sure of your budget. Another area with lots of restaurants and bars is the Galleria but once again a car makes life easier. Once you decide, if it's Houston, come back to the forum and we can give you specific things to make your visit a good one.

The real question is--which teams do you want to see play? Given the Astros record this year that might be the determining factor :-)

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

As far as music goes, there's House of Blues, right in the neighborhood of Inn at Ball Park, right across from Minute Main Park. houseofblues.com/tickets/searchresults.php… (Page 3 will show schedule around time of your visit.)

St Arnold's Brewery is a short cab ride from where you'd be staying, but Karbach is fairly far away. Inn at Ball Park is about 5 blocks east of Main St. Most of bars/restaurants are from Main westward 2-3 blocks, so you'd probably want to take a cab back at night, primarily because of heat. (City is relatively safe, but, like any major urban area, has its share of petty crime, panhandlers, etc.) As Kingwood pointed out, not much going on in the immediate neighborhood of the ballpark at night, although there are a number of bars for pre-game drinks.

A nice hotel bar would be the Sam Bar at the Sam Houston Hotel (formerly known as the Alden Hotel)--they should be able to serve you a decent drink, as should the Four Seasons Hotel. Many of the bars on/near Main St. are more into fancy cocktails and the late 20's-early 40's crowd, if that's any help.

I'm not aware of any festivals going on, as that's Labor Day weekend, and festivals here don't usually begin until mid-October, after the heat has subsided.

We've got a wide variety of different ethnic cuisines, and Houston is truly one of the best food cities in the country. Most of this is available to you by public transportation or by short cab rides, although I agree with Kingwood that to enjoy our city to its fullest, a rental car is ideal.

Let us know if you have more questions.

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

There's alot going on downtown, as of late. Several cool bars. Captain Foxhearts Bad News lounge serves some great craft cocktails. La Carafe is beer and wine, but is the oldest bar in town and very cool. Warren's is divey and fun. By the time you travel, The Pastry War will be open. It will specialize in tequila. These are all walking distance from each other.

usa
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

Thanks for all the info. I'm still not thrilled about driving. Although Nasa would be pretty cool. And I've been wanting to cruise out of Galveston so it could be interesting to see what area i'd want to stay before and/or after the cruise.

What's the average parking rate per night at the hotels near the park ? Can you rent for the day at one of the hotels ? Here's a question what are your dress codes. None of us are much for having to wear long pants in super hot and humid weather. On the other hand being the only standouts in dress shorts and collared shirts in a nice Rest., bar or whatever would be a bummer also. How far is Hobby from Park ? Best way to get from airport to Hotels ?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

Houston is pretty casual, other than a few restaurants with a dress code (Brennan's, Artisan's, Mockingbird and Masraff's come to mind, and among those, only Brennan's requires a jacket in the main dining room). Most places will let you in wearing dress shorts and a collared shirt, but to be safe, call the restaurant ahead of time.

Parking rates vary from hotel to hotel, but can go up to about $28/night at certain hotels. You'd have to check with Inn at Ball Park.

Hobby is probably a 20-minute cab ride (at non-rush hour) from the ballpark. Best way is to take a cab (unless hotel has a shuttle, which I doubt Inn at Ball Park has). Split 3-4 ways, it shouldn't be too bad--maybe $10-$15/person at most, including gratuity.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

Hi M,

Texas it is! You have gotten some good suggestions, though you do not have to spend a lot of money, to have fun in Houston.

Try Lucky's for a good choice of beer, great crowd, and more, near Minute Maid:

http://luckyspub.com/

If you are looking for a little upscale, and some great bourbon, head over to Vic & Anthony's for their happy hour; great drinks, food and impeccable service. The décor here is just great for men relaxing; hardwood floors, black leather couches, and a great staff, too. Check out their website,as they do have a few dress restrictions, but I'm sure you all will find no problem with them.

http://www.vicandanthonys.com/

With a car, you can surely see lots more of H-town, including everything going on in Midtown, and on Washington Avenue. On Washington, head to Laurenzo's for great food, prime rib quesadillas and ,the best burgers and fries, among other great, Texas sized food, and a million dollar collection of sports memorabilia that is a joy to behold, no matter what your favorite sport may be.

http://www.laurenzos.net/

So much to do and see, and Texas hospitality!

Hope you all have fun.

cc,

Cupcake

usa
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

Well I hope to have this all booked either this Friday night or early Saturday. So I'll have an answer for you guys. Still not sold on the whole driving thing. I can see nasa or Galveston. But driving cross town at 2am after enjoying a few Bourbons. Ya not so much. Oh and 28 bucks to park at hotel may be alot in Texas, but try 50 in Boston, 60 plus in Nyc .

So ant last minute pitches before Friday. Lets here them

9. Re: Possible guys wknd in Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 05:16