We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short trip to houston

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
short trip to houston

Hello, I will be flying into Houston in early September to see a game at bbva stadium. I'm looking for a nice area to stay in ( suburban outskirts of the city ) that would have easy rail access to the stadium. Just looking for a safe place to stay with the wife.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short trip to houston

There is no rail to the stadium and really no public transport from the suburbs. All hotels close to BBVA stadium are on the other side of 59 and from a little over 1/2 mile and more. This is close to the Baseball stadium. Several restaurant and bars in the general area.

If you want to stay in the suburbs the best thing would be to rent a car. I would pick the area depending on what else you want to see. For example, if you want to visit NASA then stay in the Clear Lake area.

Most areas, including downtown is safe. The areas to avoid are Greens point area, Hobby airport area and 59 corridor (North side) between 610 and around the airport exit - Will Clayton.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short trip to houston

Basically, I'm in agreement with Kingwood. If, however you enjoy walking in our usually oppressive heat, it's about 12 city blocks (roughly 2/3rds of a mile) from Main St., where the MetroRail stops, to BBVA Stadium. You'd really need to find a hotel out near the Texas Medical Center or south of it to be on the rail line.

A car really does make more sense, and gives you a chance to see more of our city.

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short trip to houston

Hi R,

If you stay in the suburban areas, you might be quite far way from the things you might want to do in Houston, including the game. How much time will you be able to spend here? If you only have a few days, you might not want to spend valuable time in a lot of travel time,to and from the 'burbs..

Here is a list of hotels, and even a great bed and breakfast, that are well located:

hotelplanner.com/Hotels/28806-NEAR-Midtown

Renting a car is a good idea, as you can easily get around the city, and enjoy the many things to do; from the Galleria are, to the Museum District,and more.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

cc,

Cupcake

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short trip to houston

I'm a Marriott reward member and was checking out hotels in the downtown area. There is an hotel icon at 220 main st and a residence in at 904 dallas st. I read reviews that the area near the residence inn isn't great ( I think someone said there's a jail or a police station and people loitering around the sidewalks ). People didn't seem to have issues with the area near the Icon hotel. I work in a bad area and don't want to deal with any nonsense on my trip :) Any input ? Thanks

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short trip to houston

The Hotel Icon is in a nice area of downtown--several bars and restaurants nearby. Having said that, I'd recommend taking a cab back from BBVA to the hotel after the game, as the intervening neighborhood isn't the greatest, especially after dark. (I'd agree with your assessment of the Residence Inn neighborhood.)

While street crime isn't a major problem in the area of The Icon, just remember that you'd be staying in the downtown area of a large city, so always be aware of your surroundings, as you would in Rochester, NYC, or any other large city.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short trip to houston

Its the Police Station that is close to Residence Inn. Both hotels are about 1.5 miles from BBVA Stadium. Take a taxi after the game for sure. The really bad area is just North (E) of the Minute Maid Park around San Jacinto and Congress. Several bail bondsman, so people are there all the time - I guess trying to get someone out of jail.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short trip to houston

Hi,

You all might enjoy drinks, dinner and some music at Sambuca, downtown:

http://www.sambucarestaurant.com/

Maybe you could stop by for their happy hour before the game; they make amazing crab cakes, and if the weather is okay, you can sit out on their patio, too!

cc,

Cupcake

Edited: 20 August 2013, 22:45
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short trip to houston

Hey thanks for everyone's input, it was very helpful. I think I got the hotel figured out. One last question...renting a car from the airport is pretty expensive. Is there a train that can take you from Hobby airport into downtown ? I think I see train tracks on google maps that lead to the airport

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short trip to houston

Hi,

There is no train system that runs from Hobby into town. You might check into transportation companies, such as SuperShuttle, for that, and then rent from a downtown rental car agency, which saves you the airport fees, for rentals.

Hope this website will help you:

www.fly2houston.com/hou-Ground-Transportation

Are you landing at Hobby (HOU), as opposed to Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)?

Have a good trip!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: short trip to houston

Actually, it's considerably cheaper and more convenient to take a cab from Hobby into or near downtown than it is to take the Super Shuttle, as two can ride for the price of one in a cab, but each person must pay separately on the S'shuttle. If your hotel offers a free shuttle, that's even better.