We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston Traffic

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Houston Traffic

Hi - We're planning a trip to Houston for the International Quilt Festival the end of October. We will be traveling in our truck camper and plan to stay at an RV park at the intersection of Rt 8 and 288 (i'm sure they have local names...but ). I will need to be at the Brown Convention Center by 8 am one morning and 9 am another. We lived in DC for years and have images of DC Rush hour traffic burned in our brains. What can we expect in Houston? Thanks.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston Traffic

While I've never driven from that side of town, barring a major accident or monsoonal rain, I'd estimate the drive leaving at 7:15 AM should get you to the GRB (George R Brown Convention Convention Center) safely by 8:00, including finding parking. I'd think it might take 5 minutes less leaving to arrive at 9:00 AM, but nothing major in the way of a difference.

If you want to play it safe, leave at 7:00 AM the first day, since you may have a harder time finding a harder time finding a parking spot for your camper. Incidentally, I tried pulling up the directions on Mapquest, and couldn't get them, so I used Google maps to get them, using the starting point as Hwy 288 @ Beltway 8.

Enjoy your stay.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston Traffic

I have been to the quilt show many times and the parking lots fill up pretty fast. There are many surface parking lots close to the Conv Center which is where you need to be with a tall camper. I agree with Gene. If you are scheduled to "work" a booth and have to be there at the exact times you posted, then I would bite the bullet on the first day and leave earlier than 7am. A wreck on your route can cause you to be delayed. Houston traffic is a nightmare. My daughter had to attend a dinner meeting the other night and was late because it took 1 hour to get 14 miles on Katy Freeway.

Here is the address of an office building that has a big food court in the lower level where downtown workers grab coffees/breakfast and lunch.It is very nice and it is where I walk to eat lunch when I attend the Quilt Show. Also, across the street is the Phonecia. It was under construction last time I went to QShow, but it's open and very, very popular place to eat and/or buy things for eating in your RV later. So, if you do arrive early you could walk over there until Conv doors open. Just my little opinion.

phoeniciafoods.com/locations/downtown-market/

downtownhouston.org/guidedetail/…

www.shopsathc.com/info/center-information.asp

Edited: 17 August 2013, 21:50
Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston Traffic

Thanks. An hour to go 15 miles sounds pretty normal to veteran DC drivers. I appreciate the advice....and the plus... it's always good to get recommendations for places to eat.

4. Re: Houston Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:19