We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Hotel and Airport

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Need Hotel and Airport

Houston Texans vs Patriots December 1, 2013, what airport do I fly into? Houston Hobby or IAH? Does it matter, American seems to have cheaper flights going into IAH. I've got reservations at the JW Marriott is that close to downtown, is there a better hotel, looking to stay at a Marriott hotel, Ritz, JW, etc....Should I take car service to Stadium? Taking my son and I'm trying to make this special, appreciate any help....

eecassociate@aol.com

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Hotel and Airport

Check out reliant.stadiumhotelnetwork.com for places close to the stadium. Hobby airport is closest to the stadium, about 10 miles and IAH is about 30 but either airport is fine. Check Southwest Airlines directly on their web site.

Hope you and your son have a good time.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Hotel and Airport

The JW Marriott is in the Galleria area. This location is good, but has lots of congestion. Lots of dining options around here. You will need a rental car, taxi, etc to get to the game.

The downtown Residence Inn, Courtyard and Hotel Icon are along the Metrorail line, that you could take down to the stadium.

Welcome to Houston

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Hotel and Airport

Hi Brian,

You all might enjoy staying a bit closer to the venue, and this Embassy Suites downtown, might fit the bill:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56003-d1862847…

The rooms are large,and great for sharing with kids, and my children always enjoyed the cooked to order breakfast that's included in your stay.

You all can ride the Metro train around town, and enjoy things from the Museums, maybe get in a tour of Minute Maid Park, Discovery Green, our downtown park, and more:

Rail info:

ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/RailSched.aspx

Tours of MM Park:

…mlb.com/hou/ballpark/tours/index.jsp

Not sure how old your son is, but this website has info on all of the great things to do in and near downtown:

http://houston.kidsoutandabout.com/

Hope your trip is memorable and wonderful!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Hotel and Airport

As mentioned above either airport is okay. JW Marriott is just across the Galleria Mall. We don't have a Ritz anymore, it is now a SPG property - St. Regis which is kinda across the freeway from the Galleria Mall. The stadium on the other hand is pretty much half way around 610 loop. If you don't plan to drive then you will have to use car service (Taxi / Limo). It sounds like that you don't want to be bothered with the metro rail, but if you are okay with it then find a hotel that is close to the metro line and you can take it to the stadium (most probably the fastest way to get there).

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Hotel and Airport

Brian--

You've gotten some great advice already, but let me throw in some additional perspective. Your current reservations are at one of the city's better hotels (not super-luxury, but still good). It's right across the street from The Galleria, a mega-mall with lots for your son to entertain himself with during the time you're not at the game. (The Galleria area, incidentally, is the 3rd largest central business district in the state of Texas, and frankly is a better place for you and your son to stay than downtown, IMHO.) It definitely will require a cab to and from the game, as there's no convenient public transportation.

An alternative might be to book a room at either the Hotel ZaZa, right along the MetroRail line, or something in the Texas Medical Center (Marriott has a nice hotel there, and has reduced rates on weekends), also on the line. You could then take the line directly to the stadium. Both hotels are reasonably close to the museum district and the Houston zoo, if he's into that type of thing. If you want to do more exploring, you'd be better off renting a car, although the MetroRail would take you downtown, where you could tour Minute Maid Park, see Toyota Center, and visit Discovery Green.

Welcome to Houston!

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Hotel and Airport

Wow I have never posted anything like this and I have to say your (everyone's) opinions are outstanding. My son is 12 and like any 12 year-old boy loves trains so I think I will switch to the Embassy or Marriott, thanks for that great advice. We have all day Saturday and Sunday, not leaving until Monday so I will be sure to check out the websites attached.

Once again thank you for sharing your opinions and thoughts.

Paying it forward,

Brian

7. Re: Need Hotel and Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:25