We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

layover?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
layover?

Hi! I am considering a flight in late March, 2014 that would involve a change of planes in Houston with 41 minutes between flights. This is a United/ Copa airlines flight with final destination of Panama. It won't involve a change of airlines. Do you think I would have enough time with that short of a layover?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: layover?

It is a legal connection but you will be cutting it very close. Any problems with the in bound flight and you will not make the connection. If the Copa flight is the last or only flight to Panama that day, I would not risk it. I would look for an earlier flight into IAH.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: layover?

will I be changing terminals if I am coming from Chicago, with Panama as ultimate destination?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: layover?

The chances are you will change terminals (from C to E) and yes very tight but I think you should be able to do it. If you are lucky the flight from ORD will land in terminal E too. I looked up the flights, why not take the direct flight from ORD to Panama? Also, there are two more flights from IAH after your flight.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: layover?

Yeah, they have a daily nonstop flight that we have taken before with COPA but the price skyrocketed by $200!! I am wondering if it will come back down? Meanwhile, I am looking at alternatives.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: layover?

For some reason Copa web site is not working but at United the direct flight is $5 cheaper than the flight via Houston.

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: layover?

I have a flight into Houston (Sat 3pm) from Tokyo in May with a connection to Chicago 1.5 hours later. I have to go through immigration, does that mean collect my bags for inspection also? Is this long enough to get everything done? Thanks

Edited: 12 October 2013, 19:31
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: layover?

Yes, you have to go through customs too. 1.5 hours is awfully tight, I would not chance it. Last week my wife returned from the UK and it took her an hour going through the citizens line. I gather you will have to use the visitors line and that is usually much slower.

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: layover?

It was already booked (after reassurances from United). But in the back of my mind I had doubts, so I have just changed things on your recommendation. I now have 3 hours to get everything done, but in Denver this time.

Thanks for your help.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: layover?

3 hours should be more than adequate.

10. Re: layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:17