We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for 18th birthday?

Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for 18th birthday?

My niece and her family are coming in from out-of-town in a couple of weeks for a brief visit. Their daughter will be turning 18 during the visit and they want to take us out to eat that evening, with the request for a "fun" restaurant for the birthday experience. Since they are treating us, I would prefer the menu prices to be reasonable also. We live in northwest Harris County (the Willowbrook area, to be exact) and while there are some decent restaurants near us, there's nothing that I would classify as especially fun or memorable. Any ideas? I was thinking that there would be something in The Woodlands, but there are so many mixed reviews on restaurants there that it's hard to decide.

Thanks for your help!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for 18th birthday?

Well, how about something like Grimaldi's in The Woodlands? Great pizza, nice indoor seating (I prefer downstairs--the kitchen is down there so that can be interesting) and some good outdoor seating on the lower level. You are adjacent to the waterway, and there is a good place right there outside to watch the water features when they are going. You can stroll along the waterway, or take the short walk over to Market Street from there as well. You could even consider having a look through Hudson and Hubbell just down the street before or after dinner.

There's a new burger place called Fieldings--haven't been there myself, but have heard good things about it. Have you been to the Cheesecake Factory right by the mall? I think there's a Chuy's along the north bound access road--have only eaten at the Austin location but the Tex-Mex is good and it's fun.

How about El Tiempo in The Vintage? Good food, nice outdoor seating area--enclosed and heated with if it's cold.

What about a Rudy's BBQ--interesting concept, pretty good food, but maybe not what you want for an 18th birthday celebration.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for 18th birthday?

Had another thought--the HB Japanese Steakhouse on FM 1960 near Stuebner Airline (Veteran's Memorial) Dr. Hibachi place where the food is cooked in front of you. Very showy--might make a memorable meal if the birthday girl hasn't done that before.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for 18th birthday?

Hi E,

You all might enjoy a good Mexican food restaurant in your area; there are many that are reasonably priced and usually have a fun atmosphere. You can let them know there's a birthday at your table,and they'll usually sing a rousing birthday song!

urbanspoon.com/nf/…Mexican-Restaurants

We enjoyed Dave and Busters for fun for everyone:

http://www.daveandbusters.com/default.aspx

It is not located right in your area, but is an easy drive. The food portions are large, easy to share,and reasonably priced. Those who want to play the games can do so, and if others want to watch sports, they have a great sports bar area, too..so everyone can enjoy the night. Call them and ask about desserts, or bringing in your own cake for the celebration.

Hope your niece's birthday is a happy one!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for 18th birthday?

check out The Melting Pot. Definately not your ordinary dining experience. Fondue served table side. It can be pricey. but if you speak to the manager before hand he may be able to design a preslected menu for your group. I was able to do that once and it was a great savings.

Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for 18th birthday?

Thank you for all the suggestions!. The Cheesecake Factory and Chuy's in the Woodlands are on my list, the only thing holding me back a bit is that they are chains. I am also considering Bucca di Beppo and will look into El Tiempo in Vintage, Dave and Busters and The Melting Pot (although I am concerned about it being pricey). I'll offer these as suggestions to my niece when they arrive and let her decide.

6. Re: Restaurant for 18th birthday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:16