We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for out of state wedding guests

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for out of state wedding guests

Hi, I need to find hotel rooms and a place to host Sunday morning brunch for out of town guests coming for a wedding.

What would you suggest? I'm looking at Magnolia Hotel as it would be close to where the wedding reception is being held. I've been told Galleria area is what I should consider also. What do you think?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

LauraLee--Magnolia Hotel is downtown, and is a nice hotel (check reviews here on TA and also other resources). Downtown activity at night is limited to theaters (not movies), restaurants and bars. Virtually no shopping downtown any longer.

The Galleria area is a far newer, nicer and probably safer area (although downtown is not what I'd consider any more unsafe than any major urban downtown), has lots more restaurants with bars, shopping and things to do, especially if weather becomes inclement.

Cab fare (for four people) per cab should run (including tip) no more than $27-$28 from The Magnolia Hotel to The Galleria in each direction, if that's useful information to you.

I think you'll have more brunch choices in the Galleria area than you will near The Magnolia, FWIW, but you won't go wrong either way.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 23:46
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

Thank you. I've read all the reviews for Galleria hotels, and am not really sure which is the nicest. If you have anything to add, please let me know. Also, I need a place to host a brunch. Any ideas there?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

LauraLee--There are many nice hotels in the Galleria area. In no particular order are: Westin Galleria, Westin Oaks (both actually part of the mall), JW Marriott (directly across the street), or the Hotel Derek (unfortunately, on the wrong side of I-610 for pedestrians). I'd say any of those could do a very nice job for a private brunch for you.

If you wanted something more upscale, the St. Regis is less than a mile from the Galleria itself, and is probably the finest hotel in the area, but not really within walking distance of the Galleria. Another very upscale hotel is the Hotel Granduca, but again, about a 3/4 mile distance.

Two other choices which would require transportation would be the Omni on Woodway or the Houstonian Hotel and Spa, both of which have lovely views, as well as excellent food. With a big group, it might be advisable to charter a small bus to get everyone to either of these, however, as they're both about two miles from the Galleria. If you choose one of these, make sure you ask for a room with a view.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

I'm still having trouble making a decision. Many of reviews I read for the galleria area hotels are not as positive as I'd like. Many complain about them being old and dated, in need of renovation. The recepton is downtown on Jefferson and Magnolia is close and they can do a brunch...but I am afraid guests may be disappointed we aren't close to Galleria.

Can you advice me any further on the hotes...how about Omni and Houstonian...are they further from downtown or a bit closer. Thanks.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

LauraLee--

While Omni and Houstonian are both slightly closer to downtown, the distance is negligible, particularly in terms of mileage.

While I like the Houstonian, if you're looking for a truly first-class hotel in the Galleria area, I'd stick with either the St. Regis or the Omni. Neither is really within walking distance of the Galleria itself, but St. Regis is about a mile away, and Omni is about 1.5+ miles away. Houstonian Hotel is a more laid-back setting, almost like a country villa setting. Take a look at pictures on their website to see if you think guests would be happy. (It's about 2 miles from Galleria itself, and is not necessarily known for great food, in all honesty, even though I think they'd do fine on a brunch.) http://www.houstonian.com/Accommodations.aspx

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

For brunch, I would recommend Brennan's, Hugo's, or Backsreet Cafe.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,862 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

I know this is a different train of thought, but from downtown you do have easy access to Midtown, too. For me, as is noted above, the draw of the Galleria is really the shopping. If that's what you and your guests want, then I agree. But, if you are looking only for restaurants, bars, and clubs - Downtown, Midtown could work.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

I too think you will be better of staying downtown and finding a brunch place in downtown such as Batangas (never been there but good reviews) - walking distance from hotel. Something more fancy - Four Seasons - a little further but still walking distance. Without knowing the budget, method of transport, number of people, it is difficult to narrow things down.

To me St. Regis is maybe the best hotel and the restaurant (Remington) has some of the best food. I normally don't like hotel food but this is an exception. I am not sure if they have a brunch but if you want a good meal at a classy place this is it.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

Hi,

I agree with Kingwood, and if you want a beautiful,memorable brunch, the St Regis would be a good choice.

Many people use Ouisie's Table for wedding lunches and brunches, as well:

http://ouisiestable.com/

Ouisie's is such a wonderful representation of Southern Charm, and a helpful staff, too.

cc,

Cupcake

10. Re: Hotel for out of state wedding guests

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:17