We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

framingham
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Hello everyone, im a little confused about the hotel locations was wondering if i could get some help. i will be comming into houston in late AUG for a college football game at Reliant, probly a 5 night stay. thinking of taking the train to the stadium on gameday. will be renting a car also. but dont really do alot of tailgating so that seems like the easier option for me. want to spent about $ 100-125 a night. want to be near restarants and the train. seems hotels near reliant are in a tough neighborhood and not much around, and the dowtown and galleria are more than i want to spend. Would like to find something clean with good reviews and a pool, maybe a decent bar in lobby. not to picky on brand of hotel, just want it to have some of these requirements. dont mind driving to train station if need be on gameday. Will be travelling alone and am an applebees, chillies, buffalo wild wings type of guy, so fancy places really arnt my type of thing. any suggestions would be AWSOME.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Since you will have a car and you don't have to drive around rush hour traffic why not look for a place in the suburbs - Sugarland / First Colony is one suggestion. It also depends on where else you plan to visit. The best thing might be to go to TA, hotels.com or similar sites and put all your requirements.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Hotels near Reliant Stadium aren't necessarily in bad neighborhood, but I agree that there's not much to do in immediate area. If you have a car, however, you can usually get a fairly good deal on hotels in that area, then drive to restaurants of your choice. Sugar Land/First Colony area is a fairly long trip, especially when you dial in traffic. (This area would be fine if you plan to spend most of your time there, however.)

Train "stations" basically are MetroRail stops, and are almost all on Main St/South Main St. Most stops do not have parking lots as such. Weekend hotel rates are usually a bargain downtown and in Texas Medical Center, but are not cheap on Sunday-Thursday nights.

I agree with Kingwood's suggestion about checking TA, hotels.com, etc. to see if you can find something that fits your needs.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Here is the link for the train route, as you mentioned you might be interested in staying nearby: ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/RailSched.aspx

There are a few hotels in the Reliant Stadium area, as you've discovered. I don't know if that I'd call it a "rough neighborhood", just not much around - but you'll have a car. There are also hotels downtown, convenient to the train line, but I'm guessing these may be over your price range even on the weekend, plus you will pay for parking. The other area is the Medical Center area, which may work on the weekends, as stated. There are a few scattered budget hotels in West U/Rice Village. I can think of Residence Inn and Courtyard. Also, there are a few budget offerings located inside the 610 loop, just north and near the Galleria area (I think La Quinta, for example).

At your price point, you might consider Priceline or Hotwire. I took a look at betterbidding.com and there are some recent wins reported for <$100 downtown (4*). You do take a risk by booking this way, but often you can make an educated guess on what you may "win". Another site/app which is similar, is HotelTonight - where last minute rates are listed just before a weekend, at steep discounts. You could reserve something which can be cancelled up to the day of arrival, then try one of these methods, as well.

framingham
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

thanks everyone for the suggestions, will look at sugarland/first colony area. could anyone recommend a hotel within walking distance to stadium? that would work too since ill have a car on all the other days that arn't game day, which then i could just leave car at hotel and walk over.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Patscouple--

We Houstonians don't usually stay in the hotels, but here's what I'd do: Go to www.maps.google.com. Enter "Reliant Stadium, Reliant Parkway, Houston, Texas" in the search box; then, on the left side of the screen, below "Relian Stadium" you'll find in light blue a choice "Search nearby"--click on that and enter "hotels". All the nearby hotels/motels will come up on the map, and you can research them for yourself. Guest ratings on TA will show, rates, features, etc. In this manner, you can pick which one appeals to you. None of these hotels is what one would describe as a 4 or 5-star hotel, but they're decent.

Forgive me--I just read the description of the Crowne Plaza and got quite a kick out of it: high speed internet access · fitness center · toilet paper · ceiling tiles · offshore technology conference I'm certainly glad they offer both toilet paper and ceiling tiles. Possibly you could negotiate a better rate if you brought your own toilet paper.

Good luck!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

You can use google as Gene suggests, or just click over to the Houston area hotel list on TripAdvisor and show "map view" - then as you zoom in on the Reliant Stadium, more hotels will show up.

tripadvisor.com/…MAPVIEW

framingham
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Gene T. Thanks for ur help, thinking the crown plaza is the place!!!! all that toilet paper and tiles, how can i go wrong lol

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Patscouple,

If you plan to go to NASA, Galveston etc. then I would try to stay in the Clear Lake area, if you plan to go to the Galleria area and downtown then Sugarland / First Colony. Staying close to Reliant will make one day easier but a lot of driving the rest of the time. Also, staying in the Medical Center area, Galleria area and Downtown, the chances are you will have to pay for parking.

First Colony has a lots of eateries and bars walking distance from most of the hotels. So you can do the day stuff - museums, zoo, shopping etc. and then relax at night at First Colony - plus free parking and the rooms are less expensive than the more popular areas. The drive from Sugarland to Galleria , Downtown, museum district is not bad after rush hour.

If you want to stay by the reliant there are several hotels available (for some dates I put in for Aug). I narrowed by search to less than $125, free parking, swimming pool and restaurant in the hotel - came up with 3 within a mile from Reliant and several others within a 5 mile radius.

Beaumont, Texas...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

Try Omni Westside. Can be less than $100.00 on some weekends.

10. Re: Houston hotel confusion? could use some help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27