We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

winnipeg
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

I have read numerous posts which lead me to believe that we will need to clear customs in Houston, retrieve our bags and go through customs, and then drop the bags on a connecting conveyor. Then we need to pass through security again even though we are immediately flying out of the countrty to Canada. Do i have this correct so far? Then, looking at an airport map, international arrivals are at terminal D or E. Our flights are with United on both legs and I assume we will fly out of terminal A since that terminal shows Air Canada and UNITED Express (affiliates). We land at 11:22 and depart 12:52. Sounds tight based on other postings but United seemed to think OK since they booked it. Looks like there is a monorail from D/E to A. Is that the best route to take ans am i correct about the customs and luggage handling. Leaving soon.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

Might be a correction on this enquiry. Hopefully , from what i can see on the United website we land in terminal E and depart from same. Does this mean we still need to do the Immigratiom/Customs/re-enter security?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

To the best of my knowledge you have it correct and yes it will be a tight connection - holds true even if you depart from the same terminal.

When you come out of E you cannot go to another gate - just passport control.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,020 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

A correction: As an "in-transit" customer, you will be allowed to have your bags checked "all the way through" from SJO to YYC before departing, and further - you will be allowed access to the IAH One Stop lane for immigrations/customs processing (see link below - you are "in transit"). Because of this, you will not need to wait, claim, and redeposit your checked bags. Once processed, you can proceed back through TSA security and get to your gate quicker. Take the TerminaLink tram from D/E gates, after TSA Security, to A Gates. Keep in mind that if the connection is operated by Air Canada, it's A gates, but if it's a codeshare which is actually operated by United, it might be B or C/E gates.

http://www.fly2houston.com/OneStop

Edited: 14 March 2014, 17:29
winnipeg
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

Thank you for the quick helpful responses. I have a good handle on the steps we will go through. Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

So BK - does that mean even pax with luggage can check the luggage to the final destination and go One Stop? The previous posts gave me the impression that it was for those that only had carry on - and no checked luggage. I would not know as I have never been in transit in Houston.

Beazerman - after you get back let us know so we will have first hand information (not that I am doubting you BK).

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

If you have just the Houston stop then your bags will go through. If you have more than one US stop you pick them up. I am not sure one stop still exist when I went thorugh in 2010 it was great but last time I had another stop so I had to pick up my bags. I was told the one stop longer existed. In its place was a global entry boot whchstated US residents. I hope it has changed. In the future Canadians as well will be able to use passport scanners there. Gather that is already in place. in other airports

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,020 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

OK, so I'm confused myself now. An "in transit" passenger is one who is transiting through the US, coming from international and going to international. This makes one eligible for One Stop and bags are tagged all the way through and not needed to be claimed/reclaimed.

But, I think this may apply to a single airline. If you are transfering from United to Air Canada, this might not apply. I found this post on flyertalk which offers some information.

flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1523…

Calgary
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

Hey beazerman ... wondering if you made your connection? We had the same one last year - we pretty much had to run at top speed then leap through the airplane door to get on. Worst connection ever...

PS...I'm your cousin... :-)

9. Re: Travelling from San Jose Costa Rica to Calgary via IAH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 05:16