We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston Ideas this weekend??

California
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Houston Ideas this weekend??

I am coming to Houston this weekend. Flying in late Thursday and leaving early Monday with my sister. She will be in a conference Friday, Saturday, and Sunday am. I am considering renting a car since the taxi fare is about $50 each way from what I have found. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza downtown. Is a rental a good idea? Also, any must dos since I have 2 full days to explore. I am a huge sports fan and am considering a Rockets game Saturday night. Any recommendations are appreciated! Thank you in advance.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Besides sports, what are you interested in? If you are looking at venturing out into the city a rental car is advisable, but factor in the rental plus hotel parking fees.

Houston does have the metrorail from downtown to Reliant Stadium, the museums are along that route. If you just wanted museums you would not need a car.

The hotel may offer a shuttle to/from the game, since it is close by.

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Check the Things to Do tab, since you haven't really shared any likes/dislikes other than sports:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g56003-Activitie…

Our local entertainment weekly can be found at www.houstonpress.com and local news at www.chron.com

California
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Thank you for the information. I called the hotel and parking is $26 Sunday through Thursday and $13.00 Friday and Saturday so I am factoring that in. Shuttles aren't any cheaper since there are 2 of us. Its probably worth having the car.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

There are plenty of things to keep you busy. Here is another site that has events www.visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/.

I think renting the car would be the way to go, even with the high parking fees.

That said, if you take the super shuttle to and from the airport to hotel - the rate for the second is much lower.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Downtown is fairly dead on weekends. You might want to venture out to The Galleria, where you can shop, dine, drink and people-watch to your heart's content in a huge enclosed mall. You can even ice skate if you're so inclined. Covered parking is free, or you can take a city bus out there. http://www.simon.com/mall/the-galleria

Here's the bus info (you'll be looking for bus route #82): www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/BusSched.aspx

The museum district is great, as mentioned above, and is also near Hermann Park and our zoo: http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org/ This may be a perfect weekend for getting out and enjoying the weather.

Enjoy the city!

Edited: 07 April 2014, 19:13
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

And don't forget Midtown, which is also accessible on the lightrail from downtown. Some cool bars and restaurants there, as well. Not as much shopping.

California
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Thanks for the continued ideas. Not into shopping much, looking more for cool bars to visit, maybe a museum, anything entertaining. Any leads on good Rockets tickets are appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Here's a recent post which mentioned a service called "flash seats".

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g56003-i148-k73049…

I've personally used StubHub for sports events and found them to be good and reputable. In addition, there will be ticket brokers on the street - depending on supply/demand and who the opponent is - you might get a deal this way, as well.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Check out the Art Car Museum--www.artcarmuseum.com--for something a bit different. Once you are in the Heights area, several bars and restaurants nearby. Also have a look at the St. Arnold Brewery--they do tours and lunch; not sure about the days/hours.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 15:17
lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
843 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Houston Ideas this weekend??

Actally, downtown has quite a few bars and clubs. Been very busy the past few weekends I was down there. Check some of these out.http://www.downtownhouston.org/guide/bars-clubs/

Get answers to your questions about Houston