We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoo decision

Oakland, ME
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Zoo decision

We are going to be visiting Houston and New Orleans. Would like to do a zoo so for those that have been to both, which would be better the Houston zoo or the N.O.zoo? These are three older adults.

~Sue

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoo decision

Sue--

I last visited the NOLA zoo in the mid-60's, so any comments would be meaningless. However, I did a little research for you. Houston's zoo literally has three times as many animals (6,000) as NOLA's (2,000). Surprisingly, both are about the same size in acreage, with Houston at 55 acres, and NOLA's at 58.

You might check both websites to see if there's additional info on either that would help you in your decision-making. Good luck.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoo decision

NOLA also has an Insectarium and an Aquarium that are part of the zoo but at separate sites.

Oakland, ME
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoo decision

Thank you. Both of you provided good info to know.

Sue

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoo decision

I enjoyed the Houston Zoo. I've never been to the NOLA zoo.

(parking is difficult on weekends and holidays. Come early.)

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zoo decision

Really enjoyed the Houston zoo earlier this month. Too bad there were sooooo many school groups there. So weekdays also may not be the best. It was mid morning on a Wednesday and we had to park close to the Science museum. You can never go wrong with 3 times as much animals as the zoo in New Orleans, lol.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zoo decision

The Houston Zoo is beautiful. You will really enjoy it if you decide to stop there. It has an aquarium area as well, although possibly smaller than the one mentioned about New Orleans. There are many interactive things to do at the Houston Zoo such as twice a day "feeding the giraffes" where visitors can purchase several giant lettuce leaves for a few dollars and walk to a high platform and feed them. Also meet the keeper talks, a sea lion show where the animals and trainers perform tricks, up close elephant baths every morning around 10am where visitors can get about 8 feet from the animals as they are washed.....lots of neat things to do. Of course it is surrounded by lovely parks and several casual dining spots to make a nice day of your visit.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 20:15
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zoo decision

The Houston zoo nice, but not if its too hot... which is alot of the time. The animals hide out in the shade and some of them literally lay in ice. Its sad and you dont get to see all of them

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
110 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zoo decision

It can be very hot in the midst of summer, we are in the deep south. But they have added some nice, cool shady areas such as the Africa exhibit and they have a great new splash pad area for "kids" to play in. though I have seen more than one parent be "forced" to go assist their kids out there. :o)

They've also added an air conditioned, 4-D theater but I didn't see any movies longer than 15- 20 minutes in length. And there is an additional charge for it.

It is across the parking lot from the zoo train ($2.50 - 3.00 pp) which I've always counted as a must-do on our visits. Or, you can take a stroll over to Hermann Park where they have playground equipment for all ages as well as a nice splash pad there too.

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zoo decision

I think you're a bit confused. There are a couple of 'snow days' during the summer where keepers get 'manufactured snow' for some of the animals to play in. The usual cooling treat for mammals large and small are popsicles - 5 gallon size for elephants...smaller for primates and carnivores.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zoo decision

You might be referring to the snow days that happen a couple of times each summer thanks to a sponsorship through TXU Energy. Keepers give the animals 'manufactured snow' to play in. The default hot weather treat is popsicles...5 gallon versions for elephants...smaller ones for primates and carnivores.