We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach

illinois
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach

We have recently moved into Houston. Need help finding a clean beach to take 2 young kids - 4 yr and 2 yr old. This is for a regular weekend day trip. So not looking for a 4 hour drive. Was thinking about Galveston beach until the news mentioned seaweed problem there.

Any suggestions for a clean beach will be appreciated.TIA.

Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach

The seaweed is all around the gulf area in Texas. Some places may be better than others, but it is everywhere. I understand it should be gone soon. At the resorts and pay beaches in Galveston, they rake up as much as they can, but there is still some at the waterline.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach

Maybe check out Lake Livingston or Lake Conroe - granted it is not the sea but can swim and play around. You can also do some water sports - pedal boat, kayak etc.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach

Seascape Condos on the far western end of Galveston has a private beach and they do a good job of keeping their beach clean. Each unit is different so pay attention to kitchen amenities in particular.

As an alternative, Moody Gardens has Palm Beach, which may work if the seaweed clean up is not good enough. https://www.moodygardens.com/attractions/

Something else the kids will enjoy....take the ferry across to Bolivar Peninsula and feed the seagulls and see dolphins. Bring your own bread! You can walk or drive onto the ferry.

Welcome to Houston!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
166 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach

Check out Sylvan Beach in La Porte. It's closer than Galveston and the most recent reviews say the beach is clean.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g56110-d23…

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach

Sylvian beach, perhaps not the best idea. I was told by a local that it wasn't worth driving 10 minutes for, and I had driven from houston lol. So we skipped it entirely.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach

My son lives in Dickinson (a town south of Houston) and has recommended El Jardin in Seabrook.

Here's a bit of info:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

We are planning to go on Wednesday.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach

Quintana Beach is the best! Check it out, its beautiful!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
172 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach

There was just an article today/this week about water testing. I saw it today on the chronicle's web site. Sylvan beach was the worst-- in terms of water exceeding federal guidelines the greatest number times. (I'm hazy on the details, it should still be on web site)

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach

Does anyone know anything bout the ocean access for San Louis motel I believe that's what its called we r getting ready to go on vacation and gnna stay there but I was tld the ocean is brown and I'm not sure if there is sand or not please reply if ya know anything Thanksgivings

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach

Does anyone know anything bout the ocean access for San Louis motel I believe that's what its called we r getting ready to go on vacation and gnna stay there but I was tld the ocean is brown and I'm not sure if there is sand or not please reply if ya know anything Thanksgivings