We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

Hi. Husband and I will be in Houston for two weeks in October. He will be in class on weekdays so I will be doing some sightseeing on my own. I LOVE history. I will have a rental car so I can drive but all my solo excursions will need to be day trips. Can anyone give me some recommendations for sights to see? Thank you!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

Try these:

visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/…

John

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

John_P has given you a great source of things to do, but just remember that Houston is a relatively new city, dating back only to about 1836. We don't have a huge number of historic sites as compared to many cities, so enjoy what you do find.

Nearby Galveston (50 miles away) may have more history in a relatively small venue than Houston. That city has taken great pride in preserving many of its old "palaces", homes, etc. It's an easy day trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

If you are up to it San Antonio is a good place. I have done several day trips, sometimes just to take guest to dinner. It is 3 hours+ one way, so 6+ hours total. Meaning if you leave around 9:00a, you will be there by noon, spend a few hours, say 4, and then head back and you will be back by 7:00p.

If you are really into history you can spend the full 4 hours just at the Alamo. Also, it all depends on where exactly in Houston you are but don't try to leave too early and get caught to rush hour traffic. The closer you are to I-10 on the West side the easier it is.

Outside of that there is a place along 290, I think Washington County, that has a sign about been the first county or something. I have never stopped but seen the sign so many times, could be something of interest to a history buff. It is maybe 60 - 90 minutes from Houston.

Then finally check out the museums in Houston and Galveston.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

TarHeelGirl. I have some suggestions you might like and will post them soon. I'm out of pocket till next week. I would love to know the area where you will be staying. If it's downtown, I can zero in on some walkable areas from your DT hotel. If it's not downtown, I'll make suggestions not to far away.

I'm assuming that in addition to old homes such as Ima Hogg estate, that you are also interested in old architectural venues????? Do you also want suggestions for nice shopping venues near your hotel and close by? Houston has some wonderful Antique shops too. Pls let me know.

mfah.org/visit/…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYeG7x7s7XY

The Rienzi Museum is in vicinity of Bayou Bend:

http://www.mfah.org/visit/rienzi/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-b-eXiD_iw

Here is a video of Houston Museum District which is accessible by light rail from downtown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLEKkcayYOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXv5R5luNww (this show Hermann Park Zoo train too) Herman Park is part of the Museum District Area.

The Galleria would be a great place for a day of shopping/dining:

http://www.simon.com/mall/the-galleria

I just gave you a few sites. More to come, just give me until next week to gather them up. Look forward to your answers. Oct will be a great month to visit.

Oh, one last question. Are you a quilter? The huge International Quilt Show will begin Oct 30 in the Convention Center. I drive up from Austin every year. It's wonderful:

www.quilts.com/home/shows/viewer.php…

Edited: 26 June 2014, 02:06
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

Oh my! Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I will be staying near Sugar Land - Stafford to be exact. Galveston, I think, would definitely be within driving range for a day trip. Husband and I might could do San Antonio on weekend. I have been there once but it was for business and husband wasn't with me. We won't be in the area during the time of the Quilting Convention, Georgetowngal. And wow, thank you for all the links! Will be checking them out pronto! Historic homes and sites are my main focus - would love places which offer guided or self-guided tours. Thank you all so much for this useful information and for any additional suggestions, you may have.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

If you're going to stay in Stafford, there are two day trips that I can recommend.

1. The George Ranch and Brazos Bend State Park.

Neither is much, but it's quite a leisurely drive that can be completed between 4-5 hours.

You can extend it a little further by visiting the small towns of Richmond/Rosenberg.

Lunch could be at Cracker Barrel (a country story originated from Tennessee, if you're not familiar) along I-69 (the old 59 Hwy.) or at a Tex-Mex place like La Casona in Rosenberg.

2. A trip down to the Brazoria County Museum in Angleton, then onto Lake Jackson and Surfside, where you can have the beach pretty much to yourself on a week day.

If you want to, there are short roads that lead you right to the water and you can drive on the beaches for several miles.

(We have a timeshare there for nearly two decades now.)

Neither day trip has the same concentration of historical places and museums like Galveston or downtown Houston, but they present the opportunity to be in wide open space.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

A bit further afield but still interesting is the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum in College Station.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

Thank you John_P_H9430 and TxOffWeGo!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
166 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

Over towards the east side there is the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship Texas. Both of these attractions are in or around a little cemetery that dates back to the Battle of San Jacinto.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Houston and surrounding area for the history lover?

Thanks elchaco! I will check this out!