We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

Hi Travellers,

We have a day in Houston as part of a US trip in August. We had assumed at the time of planning that we would spend the day at the Johnson Space Centre, Mission Control etc. But now that time is getting closer and I am doing a bit more research it would appear that feedback from past Travellers is mixed at best.

Many seem to say that it is tired and in need of modernisation and unimpressive for a 2014 attraction.

I am now in 2 minds: we have had our minds set on spending the day there, but time is precious and I don't want us to waste our time or be disappointed!

One option might be to pay more and do the Level 09 tour which at least looks as though effort has been made and I am interested by the idea of spending some time with an expert who actually knows what he/she is talking about and has stories to tell.

We are a family of 5 ranging in age from 17 to 52 - all of us like doing interesting stuff.

Any advice or guidance, including the value of the Level 09 tour gratefully received!

Thanks,

Julian

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

Yes it's worth it imo to see where control of manned moon missions and space shuttles took place. Modernization? This is now a historic site which needs to be preserved as it was when active. It needs modernization like Big Ben needs a digital clock. No need to spend all day though. What else do you want to do in Houston?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

Thanks texhills.

We are spending our time in Texas in San Antonio and Austin and only gave ourselves 1 day in Houston - specifically to go to the Space Centre. So if we go there, there won't be time to do anything else. But if we don't go, then all of a sudden we have a free day! We're not really into museums and galleries etc but anything quirky or different you can recommend?

Anyone else out there - specifically interested in the Level 09 tour within the Space Centre if anyone has the experience that can guide us one way or the other?

Thanks,

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

Julian--

While I have not personally taken the Level 9 tour, most of the reviews I've read by people who have taken it have been quite positive (as opposed to general comments about NASA, which are far less positive). I agree with texhills that it is a piece of history, and thoroughly enjoyed his analogy, which is directly on point.

Welcome to Houston and to Texas, and enjoy your visit!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

If you are interested in space stuff it is a must see whether you do the level 09 tour or the normal visit. You can easily spend 5 - 6 hours during the normal visit. I think you will regret if you did not do it.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

I've just read through many of the recent reviews which are overwhelmingly positive so I don't know what you're worried about. There's almost always negative reviews about anyplace visited by a large number of people. Some people don't like Disneyland! Until I read the reviews I wasn't aware that the Space Center is still in use for the international Space Station. That's cool.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30,584 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

Yes it is worth visiting if your interests are in space. Just like it would be interesting for me to go to Belfast to see the Titanic exhibition.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

We did the Level 9 Tour when we visited a couple of years ago. There were only six others on the tour. We really enjoyed it as you visit a number of places not on the regular tour. It was quite special sitting in Gene Kranze's chair the Mission Control Room. If you are making a special trip to Houston I would definitely do the Level 9 Tour.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 22:39
8. Re: Johnson Space Centre: Worth a visit or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17