We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel in medical center area

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hotel in medical center area

My husband is scheduled for heart surgery in Houston at the Texas Heart Institute in a few weeks. I am coming from out of town and wont have a car. I am wondering if anyone knows of a clean decent hotel that has van/shuttle service to the medical area and is near a few restaurants. I know the Best Western and Wyndham have van service but I noticed there is a lot of negative comments about cleanliness for both establishments. I would appreciate any suggestions at this stressful time.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel in medical center area

Hummingbird00--

The Wyndham generally gets pretty good reviews. I saw only the last review (filed by Viola) complaining about the cleanliness of the kitchen area, which may be due to the "recent construction." There is a very nice Marriott directly across the street, but it is considerably more expensive; weekend rates are considerably lower, however, so if your husband has his surgery on a Thursday, you would pay a greatly reduced rate on Friday-Sunday nights (generally true throughout the Medical Center except when Texans have a home game).

If you'd like to try looking for more, go to www.google.maps.com, enter the address of, say, the Texas Heart Institute, and then, on the left-hand side of the screen, you'll find an area where you can enter the word "hotels" and then "search nearby". This will bring up all nearby hotels with reviews (not related to TripAdvisor). You'll have to do a little research, but everything you need will be there.

Best of luck to your husband in his upcoming surgery, and to you for handling the stress.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel in medical center area

Check with the Heart institute - they have the names of hotels that give special deals to patients. Most of the hotels do have shuttle service and there are several restaurants within walking distance. The medical center employees thousands of people add to that the families and friends that come to visit the patients - enough and more restaurants - mostly basic (and good) but cannot think of anything too fancy like fine dining.

Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel in medical center area

The Heart Institute is next to MD Anderson, and they have LOTS of eating choices that are reasonable and great food (their "main" cafeteria has many choices ranging from main entrees/veggies, huge salad bar, Chick-fil-A and many others that I can't recall right now) I have eaten at the main cafeteria at the Heart Institute (big disappointment with their quality), and it really doesn't compare to MDA's. You can look at MDA's website (mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-informatio…) for the list and locations of the different cafe's/eateries. I looked on the website for the Heart Institute and couldn't find any info for eateries, so I'm not sure if the cafeteria we ate at was their only source (I do know there was a McDonalds--really in a heart hospital??)? There is also a Marriott property (Jesse H Jones Rotary House International) right across street from both hospitals and they offer discounts for patients/families. As stated in other posts, the hospital should have someone who can give you information concerning hotels.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 21:33
4. Re: hotel in medical center area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 07:16