We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hr IAH stopover?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 hr IAH stopover?

Any suggestions on how to pass a 7 hr IAH stopover between flights? I guess Galveston seems ambitiously far by public transport - would the downtown Houston mall be the unexcitingly safer option? Or is there a nice shady garden/park not requiring changes of bus or whatever?

I know there are better sights than that, but I'll be hampered by jet lag and probably have carry on luggage backpack-style if there is no place to lock it up (too precious to leave in hands of airlines). But willing to make a good effort for a rare chance to revisit the place. tks

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

Take a shuttle downtown and go to the museum district or Herman Park? If it's after 5pm check out the Red Cat Jazz Cafe.

Shuttle to the Galleria and do some ice skating, visit the water wall at the Williams Tower, have a beer and a fish taco at Berryhills on Post Oak?

ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

you couldn't possibly make galveston by shuttle ( don't even think they have one???) try the galleria or perhaps the woodlands- take a cab? it might work. there's no mall downtown except for a small one. it also depends which 7 hours of the day you're talking about! stay out of traffic from 6-9a.m. and 3-7 p.m. and you'll get alot more done....there's no public transportation in hou.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

Sigh. Get a good book. Seven hours seems like a hellishly long layover, but given the rigors of air travel these days....The gent who advised you to forget Galveston is right -- you're looking at a two-hour drive each way, depending on traffic. You could get to The Woodlands, The Galleria or Hermann Park, but the time you'd be able to spend arguably wouldn't be worth the trouble of getting there. Actually, if you're a little bit on the quirky side, there is an excellent mortuary museum not too far from Bush Intercontinental. It's the National Museum of Funeral History at 415 Barren Springs (281-876-3063). Underwritten by the world's largest mortuary conglomerate, which is based in Houston, it has a pretty decent collection of hearses and Victorian death memorabilia. I think they've got Elvis' embalming table. If you go, don't be taken aback if someone tries to measure you for a coffin. It's kind of an inside joke. I'm afraid that's the best I can do for you.

ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

this guys a definite insider. i don't think too many people know this one....

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

Just to add to the previous posters, there is a bus system in Houston.... but taking it from the airport would be risky at best more from a timeline view then anything else. The public transportation in Houston is woefully underused and it shows.

There are shuttles to and from IAH to the downtown and Galleria areas. You're looking at drives of 30 minutes to a little over an hour depending on time of day. Catch rush hour and you'll be a bit unhappy.

7 hours is quite a layover, what time of day are you coming in and departing? That will help us in suggesting ways to kill some time.

ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

i just don't think there's enough time to get anywhere good and safely back. one good wreck or traffic jam on the freeway and you're screwed. the first night i lived in houston, it took 3.5 hours to drive 15 miles.....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

Agree with Ted. Depends on TOD. But, think The Woodlands Mall and area (north on I-45) would be doable and worth a cab ride.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

I live in the area of the airport. I would suggest going to Deerbrook Mall ( about 3 miles from the airport). They have an AMC theater- 24 screens. You could have lunch in the mall or in several restaurants surrounding the mall.I would try to catch a movie or 2 and have lunch or dinner there. A meal outside of the airport is cheaper and better. There are several major retailers in the Deerbrook Mall. There is also a Starbucks across from the Mall. There are quiet areas ( in the Mall) with sofas and big chairs where you can relax, read or even do some people watching. It's a safe mall.

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

Hooters at 1960 and I45. That'll kill an hour or so.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 hr IAH stopover?

I think there are lockers in the baggage area of IAH. The kind you put money in and take the key. Anyway I remember seeing them some years ago. Yeah Hooters is a good option. You get to eat and watch the tube there but it's crowded on Friday afternoons. I would look for an indoor past time as it does rain frequently in Houston. You can also go over to the airport Marriott. You can ride the train from the terminal to the inside of the hotel ( free train).Restaurants and bars in the hotel. I wouldn't venture anymore than 10 miles from the airport. One traffic accident could tie up or close a road for several hours. We wouldn't want you to miss your flight.