We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-10 day trip around Italy

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
7-10 day trip around Italy

Myself, my hubby and son are thinking of going to Italy for max. 10 days in early September. A must see is Rome (with a day trip to Pompeii and Herculaneum) - after that, we're open to suggestions - were thinking of taking a camper van and would be curious to know if this is an expensive and hassle filled way to travel Italy, or straight forward enough?

Have to book very soon so speedy responses would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

You have posted in the forum for a small town in Texas called Italy. You may get a few responses here as we have a very well-traveled group, but I'm sure you'll get better responses if you repost.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

We need to start a tour company for Italy, TX - Buy a little land, put a plywood replica of the Coliseum, etc and book tours. :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

The last time I drove through there were several lots near the interstate for sale. One even had that weird alien spaceship thing on it. It's right beside the gas station with the Sonic. Perfect location!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

Can't type just LOL, but I'm LOL

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

We could invite the South American Pope to relocate to the Western Hemisphere. I would insist he bring Raphael's School of Athens. OK, I know its a fresco. Bring the whole Vatican!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

Count me in--but only if I can have exclusive rights to the gelato franchise!

To the OP, having been on driving trips to Italy many times but never in a camper van, I can't add any first hand camping experience. I can only say that I wouldn't want to be driving some of those roads in a camper van (and I've lived in England for five years, been to Ireland, and driven many miles in the UK and on the Continent). Also, if your plans include Tuscany and hill towns, it would be very difficult to navigate, park, etc in a camper van.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

I love these little side trips to Italy ( both the Texas and European versions).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

Great ideas! I think Italy, Texas, is missing out on some major tourist dollars.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7-10 day trip around Italy

"Also, if your plans include Tuscany and hill towns, it would be very difficult to navigate, park, etc in a camper van."

See this is the advantage of our Italy...or Paris for that matter. No narrow streets here..just wide open spaces and your camper van looks just like local housing!

Reply to: 7-10 day trip around Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Italy