We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Killeen/FT Hood questions

Harrisonburg...
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Killeen/FT Hood questions

So, I grew up in FT Hood, and left there back in 1993 due to my father being transferred to Frankfurt. And I haven't been back since.

I have a trip to Dallas coming up and am planning on making my way down to Killeen to see how things have changed since I left.

My first concern is getting on the base. I would love to be able to just drive around the base, and go to the PX, my old schools, etc.

How hard is it to get on the base as a visitor?

Second, can anybody give me some good ideas for things to do in the area. I plan on spending at least a day.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
2 replies to this topic
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Killeen/FT Hood questions

I expect security is tight at Ft. Hood now. I recommend you call the base and check into it. As to things to do in the area, there are shops in Salado, but that's further South so if this is a day trip from Dallas it would add about an hour's drive time. There are big outlet malls at Hillsboro which would make a convenient stop on the way back to Dallas..

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Killeen/FT Hood questions

In order to get on base, you must sign in and be verified at the Bernie Beck Gatehouse. You will need to show proof of ID, proof of insurance, whom you are visiting, and how long it will take.

Things to do in the area;

Bell County has really improved the BLORA (Belton Lakes Outdoor Recreational Area) with water slides, picnic areas, fishing places, and more.

Check out the new convention center.

Drive around-the city has more than doubled in size in the last decade.

Visit the museums on base.

Enjoy!

Reply to: Visiting Killeen/FT Hood questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Killeen