We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale dining in Laredo

minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Upscale dining in Laredo

where do you suggest...excellent service, good menu and great food.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upscale dining in Laredo

As a former resident, I'd have to say San Antonio...

Seriously, if you're determined to go visit Dante's 7th circle (the one for the violent), the best place on the US side is probably Hamilton Cafe and Bar downtown in the old Hamilton Hotel. The Tack Room at La Posada can be good, but can also be average. Favorato's is throroughly forgettable, as is Pelican's Wharf. Both are just a step up from the chain dreck. Tono's has rotten service, though the interior is nice. Koto sushi bar is suposed to be good. Mariscos Pescador isn't fancy, but their food is very good, and a revelation to those not familiar with fish-mex. I'd have to say that's where to go, but I'm assuming that MN won't have anything similar.

Best meal in town is probably breakfast. Try Paulita's, especially their green salsa. Fabulous home-made tortillas. Same with Taqueria Tlaquepaque. Danny;s is the local diner-type b'fast place. Good chilaquiles. Several locations. Tio Hut had good mexican standards for cheap.

If you go across, El Rincon de Viejo has wonderful guacamole and gorditas, though it can be hard to find. Get a cab: don't walk or drive. Victoria 3020 is just across the bridge, and has great gardens and interesting 'nuevo-mex' food. Skip the famous El Rancho-it's far into the city, and the food never impressed me on several visits.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upscale dining in Laredo

wondertrev is definitely the expert here. My only experience with dining in Laredo was at the Tack Room at La Posada, and I thought the food was excellent! However, I was so thrilled to be back at the hotel from a scary adventure into Neuvo Laredo that they could have served me a grilled cheese sandwich and i would have thought it was the best thing i've ever eaten. It's really sad to see how bad downtown Laredo looks (boarded up buildings, graffiti, trash, etc.). I guarantee you that I'll never go back, and I can't understand why anyone would ever go there....especially going into Neuvo Laredo! uggh.

minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upscale dining in Laredo

we've eaten at LaPosada and would barely recommend that...we are probably going to eat at The Cadillac on "the other side" for lunch...

we have to go to Laredo my dad is buried there so we need to find a place to eat on the American side that has good seafood...meat and potaotes etc. Favaratos used to be good manyyears ago

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Laredo