We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Laredo

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Laredo

Well, my husband is – but I will visit frequently while he’s stationed there - most likely 6 months to a year (the most) while he's working there. Just started checking out some apartments on the web and we were told the North side is probably the safest. Is this correct? Any suggestions on apartments or what side of town to avoid or what side of town we should look at?

Thanks in advance!!

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Laredo

The North side is newer and safer.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Laredo

Safe in Laredo is a relative term. Much of the violence seems to be spreading North. Even 'nice' neighborhoods on the North side have been the site of drive-bys, assassinations, etc... There was even a sword attack(!) by a high schooler a couple of years ago in the United/Alexander HS area.

My suggestion would be to rent a house at La Bota Ranch off of Mines Road. There is a 24 hr. manned security gate and barrier there. In the 5 years we lived there, I don't recall any robberies, etc... The worst was the occasional party of illegals the Border Patrol would round up.

Many will complain about the 'far North' location, but at least you can sleep at night. Many of your neighbors will be FBI, DEA, Border Patrol, Customs, etc... In sum, it's where the folks from north of the checkpoint live.

Another option might be Quail Creek apartments off of Mines Road. It's a perfectly-average apartment complex, but many of your neighbors will be new federal agents. Of course, some others might be local scumbags, but you have better odds here than anywhere else.

Let me know if you need more info on the city.

Carlsbad, New Mexico
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Laredo

It's probably too late now, but some friends of ours are in the apartments across from Dr's Hospital. It's gated and seems to be a nice part of town. We rented a house in the Heights. Many realtors won't show you anything in this area because it's not in the north end, but we have been here almost 6 months and love it. We are close to a school and go out in the evening with our 2 year old to walk. We have found it to not be as scary as we had feared. The heat is the only thing bothering me down here :)

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Laredo

My cousins live in the Heights. It is a nice area with many families.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Laredo

Please note, for whatever reason Im having difficulty with my old screen name – Im not able to reply – had to recreate a new one.

Having said that -Thanks everyone for their input – much appreciated.

Is actually not too late – my husband is relocating to Laredo in a couple of weeks – unfortunately we can’t afford a too pricey place because we have a mortgage to pay in Houston but at the same time he would like something relatively safe – I know, whatever that means – right? :-) – we have come across Village Apartments and talked to a representative that handles corporate housing at this property, which is prefect because we wouldn’t have to buy furniture – the price is right too. I will not be living there, mostly visiting my husband but he was wondering if anyone’s familiar with it or had any input. Our rep mentioned it was near a hospital and he does rent to nurses and other federal government agents.

Thanks so much!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Laredo

Are they the ones on San Carlos?

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Laredo

Laredo is a safe place, as long as you aren't involved in illegal activity, simple as that. I have lived here all my life and I have never been unable to sleep at night. I live off of McPherson, by United High. I would avoid the west side of town, as there seems to be more burglaries there, but its nowhere near as dangerous as the "bad" areas of San Antonio, Austin, Houston, or Dallas.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Laredo

yes, they are on E. San Carlos.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Laredo

I know what you mean Sun, but I was just mainly asking about the area, there are "bad" and "good" areas in every single city in the states, and even things can happen in good areas, it just does - plain and simple - is all about being cautious but there are certain areas to avoid...I know Nothing about Laredo so I was asking about these particular apartments - Im not sure what you mean about the "so bad parts" of Houston or Dallas, every city in the US has them and I dont think one is worse than the other, is all relative - I can tell you where I live is nice, quiet, good schools and great family environments - I've lived in Houston all my life and I could advise someone where to live or where not to live because I know the city well - likewise, I was basically asking those who reside in Laredo and know it well for advise.

thank you.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Laredo

The Village Apartments aren't in an awful neighborhood, but there have been more than a few shootings there in the past few months, including some of the more colorful ones, such as the assassination at Torta-Mex. Lots of things seem to happen off of McPherson going south.

As far as safety goes, I'd head further North.

Folks from 'beyond the checkpoint' will be surprised what locals consider normal in the way of crime. They're awfully sensitive about the negative press their fair city has received over the three years (Sperling's Best Places, NY Times, national and international TV news,etc...)

Be sure and look at the Laredo Morning Times, especially the archives, to see more about where you're headed.

Get answers to your questions about Laredo