We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

Which Laredo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Metairie, Louisiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

We hope to travel from San Antonio, TX through the border and on to see Monterrey. If our Spanish is so-so, is it safe to go now? Wasn't it not too long ago that people were getting kidnapped around the border towns of Laredo/Nuevo Laredo?

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

Keep an eye on the Laredo paper (www.lmtonline.com) for the latest. Looks like the narcos just shot up the local newspaper aned threw a few grenades for good measure.

Most of those getting into trouble seem to locals (who likely have connections to the drug trade). So far, tourists haven't been too bothered. Don't be surprised, however, to see troops with machine guns, hear random gunfire, etc... as well getting hit up for bribes. If I were to cross, I'd do it by well before lunch, and not stop in Nuevo Laredo. The same goes for the trip back. On second thought, why not fly from SA?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

MAYBE driving through Neuvo Laredo to get to the interior of Mexico would be ok, but i personally will NEVER go back to Nuevo Laredo. The violence is getting worse. There seems to be something new every week going on down there. Here's the latest: http://www.ksat.com/news/6808882/detail.html

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

I'd fly and rent a car in Monterrey. I'm staying away from Nuevo Laredo. I just don't want to get caught in the cross fire of some thugs vendetta.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

Octoboy has a good point.

About three years ago, 2 US feds were wounded when they got in the crossfire between 2 feuding groups. They were undercover, and no one knew they were cops, but their Suburban still got shot up.

Nuevo is probably worse.

I quit going across three years ago after a lunchtime visit to El Rincon de Viejo that was rather creepy. It just didn't feel safe anymore. There have been lunchtime shootings at the tourist joints on the main drag, and street vendors have been killed in tourist areas. There has even been gunfire on the Int'l Bridge connecting the two cities.

Metairie, Louisiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

We were looking into taking the Greyhound bus through there, but that's probably not as safe either.

I just hate to think how much it costs to fly over to Monterrey when it's so much cheaper to bus it.

Maybe we'll wait a few years.

Thanks y'all. :)

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

Checking out cheapflights.com from SA to Monterrey about $260 from NOLA about $310. Ain't as cheap as a bus ride, but doesn't gives you more time there also.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

I travel to Nuevo Laredo at least once per month from Michigan for business. At NO point have I felt threatened! The bad guys are only killing other bad guys. NO tourists have been harmed. The downtown is drying up because of bad press from TV nad newsprint trying to scare the tourists. I'm taking my wife with me in two days and look forward to cheap shopping, great meals, and helping hard working, honest shop owners stay in business. I don't just frequent the down town area, I take taxis to outlying bars and restaurants as well.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

"The bad guys are only killing other bad guys. NO tourists have been harmed." Some innocent people have been caught in the cross fire:

www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp…

http://www.ksat.com/news/7813072/detail.html

chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/3733935.html

i'm glad you feel safe, but the possibility of being in the wrong place at the wrong time can leave you dead. i.e., caught in the cross fire. i know that i've felt threatened when my wife and i accidentally walked down the wrong street and strange looking men approached us. sure, this violence can happen anywhere, and there are areas of San Antonio where I would never go - especially at night. i'm just not going to take the chance with any part of Nuevo Laredo ever again.

i hope you have a safe, fun time. best of luck to you!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

Hmmmmm. There was a story over the weekend in the paper and on Drudge Report about a San Antonian stabbed to death. Not to mention the street vendors getting shot, the Laredoans getting whacked, etc....

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe now to cross MEX/US border?

Yeh, strange case the man went to Laredo with his brother to pick up a car and ended up stabbed dead in Nuevo Laredo. He still had his wallet so they're not sure how/why he was killed.

Get answers to your questions about Laredo