We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
16 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

We just spent several days in Marble Falls. I can't say I can blame any one establishment in town because *the whole freaking town* is begging for TRIPADVISOR reviews!!

Almost everyone in this cute little town is as NICE as can be. It is the heart of "Friendly Texas". And I think that makes some visitors just ignore the bad stuff.

So all of these "5 star" reviews completely RUINED our trip. There are definitely some very nice things about the town and the local businesses. But it is NOTHING AT ALL like the reviews here portray!

Worst of all, we overheard staff in FIVE different locations in this little bitty town asking people to "go to our website, TripAdvisor, and post a review".

We've almost always had great luck relying on TripAdvisor reviews. Unfortunately, this whole trip was exactly the opposite. And that isn't exactly TripAdvisor's fault -

SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE POSTING INCOMPLETE AND INACCURATE REVIEWS! You are hurting other people!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
11 replies to this topic
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

Trip Advisor encourages businesses to solicit reviews. I see no problem with solicitation as long as compensation for positive reviews is not being offered. Not sure what your concern is. It would help all of us if you posted reviews of the various businesses so we can judge for ourselves. Thanks

tripadvisor.in/help/can_i_ask_my_guests_to_w…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

It would be helpful to other visitors if you told us how your trip was ruined by these reviews. Which did you find inaccurate? You can also report inaccurate reviews to TripAdvisor and they will be investigated.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,563 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

In general, cross reference other sites

Small town, small pool of reviews might be a clue in the future

Sorry about your experience.there isn't really any restaurant in MF that I would even review on TA

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

5Gen, I understand what you are saying, but in the internet age, online reviews have become something of a reader beware situation. Tripadvisor, Yelp and Amazon for example, are all struggling with trying to keep their review systems clean.

Also, reviews are people's opinions and they are skewed towards the values of the reviewer. For a time, the number one hotel in Austin was a Super 8. Why? Not because it offers 5 star accomodations, but because people gave it 5 stars for being a great value - in their opinion.

I suggest taking internet reviews with a grain of salt. They are often informative, but by some estimates, up to 30% are biased by reviewers having an undisclosed family or financial relationship to the establishment.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

Yep, specifics would be helpful. Also your honost review for those places would be great.

One or two reviews - super good or super bad are red flags for me. I always like to ask for recommendations before I go.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

Marble Falls is VERY small town. Anyone going there expecting anything like a "destination resort" (and that is a direct quote of some of the local claims) will be sadly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice little town and a good place to relax, but they are stuck in the 70's... when the place WAS something to brag about.

Mentioned in this post
Marble Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

Can't say what Marble Falls was like in the 70s but I've lived here since '83 and for the most part love how we've grown and developed ... I now work for the Chamber of Commerce - full disclosure - but enjoyed the restaurants, shops and other amenities before working for the community's businesses ... we're not Hill Country Disney but have some pretty polished establishments providing top-notch goods and services ...

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

I too have noticed that Trip Advisor is not as reliable a resource as it used to be.

Marlin Texas USA
Level Contributor
286 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

If Trip Advisor is not as reliable as it used to be, that is a function of the posters, not the site. For example, if there is a string of first-time reviews of a restaurant or hotel or attraction, that is an indication that perhaps the reviews are solicited or posted by owners/employees.

As with anything else, we have to use common sense ("Best burger in town!" may mean there is one burger joint in town and this is it) and if we go to a recommended place and it isn't as represented, we can warn other people off by posting a factual review.

Trip Advisor is a valuable tool for travelers, but as travelers we have to be aware that some folks' tastes are not our tastes, and what entertains or attracts us may not do so for others.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,563 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.

again, cross reference with other web sites..do not rely on TA

it is a known fact that TA reviews can be manipulated

------

again, small towns mean litle or no reviews-

I use the search box for comments by other posters for looking for suggestions...I never, ever use or rely on the TA ranking system...

Reply to: TripAdvisor reviews for Marble Falls, Texas are SOLICITED.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marble Falls