We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
723 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday

We will be leaving New Mexico on a Sunday in late January 2012, and we were planning to drive from Las Cruces to Marfa, but I read on this forum that many galleries and restaurants in Marfa are closed on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Is this true? What would be open?

5 replies to this topic
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday

The Chinati is open on Sunday. Check online to see about galleries, etc. The locals have to eat so I'm sure you'll find plenty of restaurants open.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday

Chinati is open on Sunday, but unless you leave Las Cruces very early, you are going to miss the tour times. The full collection tour starts at 10am, while the smaller tour starts at 11am. They do a separate tour of Judd's aluminum pieces later in the afternoon, or you can arrange for a private sunset tour (at a cost of $300 for two people). If visiting Chinati is on your list of things to do, I would try to arrive a day early.

It has been several years since I visited Marfa, but I recall restaurant times being pretty sporadic and varied. One night, we actually just ate at Dairy Queen, which has very good burgers, by the way.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday

This town is closed for business on Sunday. We came on Labor Day weekend in part for the Marfa Lights "Festival". Now, perhaps the festival was kicking on Friday and Saturday; however, on Sunday it's just booths with food and knickknacks. We were staying in Alpine, Texas and we actually changed our reservations for Sunday night to eat in Alpine because we thought it was a much better scene - two cool bars - Saddle Club, and Railroad Blues. There was only one restaurant open in Marfa on Sunday night (to be fair there are only a couple open in Alpine also), and the town looks like a ghost town. I know they are getting some great press - Vanity Fair did a big article on Chinati, and Beyonce just did a photo shoot there - but we were not as taken with Marfa as we were with Alpine...

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday

BeachNut... off topic question, did you check out the hot air balloon festival? If so, how was it?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday

Marfa is closed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. This town has a few interesting, attractive, notables: a couple of lovely hotels and a historic courthouse. You can see them all in 2 hours. The town, otherwise, is crummy, run down, and neglected. Main street has no benches, trees, flowers, lighting, nice signage, fresh paint or ANY type of friendly inviting decor. The restaurants are scary from the outside, and depressing on the inside. The area attractions are very interesting, the surrounding topography is beautiful. The viewing area for the "lights of Marfa" is first class...although seeing the actual "lights" is not likely.

Reply to: Arriving in Marfa on Sunday, leaving Tuesday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marfa
More Marfa Topics