We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Atitlan to Flores

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
24 helpful votes
Lake Atitlan to Flores

Greetings!

Doing some reworking of an itinerary with a couple of things already booked but here goes...

1) Do buses run from Lake Atitlan area (Panajachel) to Flores? From what I’ve found, it seems like most routes go from Guatemala City. Would love to head up to Flores from Panajachel and then head over to Quirigua/Copán area, but that sounds like it’s me dreaming.

2) Is there any benefit (mostly thinking price) to purchasing a flight from GUA-Flores once in the country? What I’m seeing now is $220 round trip. Guessing if I have to go back to Guatemala City it will be just as well to suck it up and fly.

3) What are the benefits of staying longer than 2 days in Flores and going to places other than the city and Tikal?

Thanks for your help.

3 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
330 reviews
267 helpful votes
1. Re: Lake Atitlan to Flores

You can arrange the Pana to Flores trip through any agency - I think it would generally be a share shuttle from Pana to GC (likely through Antigua), then a long range night bus. The flights are quick but spendy - I've gotten my best prices booking through Rainbow Travel or Adrenalina Tours. You can combine transport options from Flores to Copán; Quiriguá is a little more complicated. There are some wonderful Maya sites in Petén in addition to Tikal if that interests you (were fond of Yaxhá). Happy trails!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
2. Re: Lake Atitlan to Flores

How much time do you have? You can go back to GC and take an overnight bus to Flores or fly. Flores is quaint but small and there is not much to really do. Stay overnight at Tikal. And we also liked Yaxha. If you have time, take a bus from Flores to Rio Dulce. It would be great to have 1-2 days there (boat trip to Livingston, stay at a hotel on the river like El Hotelito Perdido, Finca Tatin...). I have not been to Quirigua (we went straight to Copan) but it is between Rio Dulce and Copan so I would visit Quirigua on the way to Copan. I would take a bus from Rio Dulce heading to Chiquimula but ask to get off at the road leading to Quirigua. I do think it is a bit of a walk to the ruins (4 km?) but it might be possible to take a tuk tuk, a taxi, a pick-up truck or a minibus or you could hitchhike. Afterwards flag down a bus going to Rio Hondo or Chiquimula and then take a bus to the border. Cross the border and there will be minibuses to Copan. You will have to leave very early if you want to make it to Copan that day.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Lake Atitlan to Flores

Thank you! I’ve been reading the boards and was hoping you would reply. This is very helpful.

Reply to: Lake Atitlan to Flores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted