We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in flores???

Germany
Level Contributor
241 posts
14 reviews
2 helpful votes
Where to stay in flores???

We are looking for a nice accommodation (double room with bathroom) for 2 nights in November.

Unfortunately we arrive at Flores in the evening, so we can not come to Tikal any more!

Should we stay in the center of Flores (maybe Hostel Los Amigos) or how about the other side in San Miguel here is "Casa de Grethel" very well rated.

From San Miguel but you always have to take the boat, which is certainly not optimal or?

Do you need Aircon in November?

Thank you very much for your advices!

9 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
14,261 posts
330 reviews
267 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay in flores???

Air conditioning is a personal choice but if you don't sleep well when it's hot you'd probably want it. Here are some ideas:

midrange options: http://www.hotelesdepeten.com/

good budget choice (at least it was years ago when I last stayed there): Mesa de Mayas Flores - Alfaro Lopez <mesamayas@hotmail.com>

Also note that many people arrange transport to the park hotels in the evening.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to stay in flores???

I have not stayed at Hostel Los Amigos. They have a good reputation as far as tours and transport are concerned. But I believe it can be a bit of a party hostel (I don't know if that is what you are looking for). The Jungle Lodge in Tikal has shuttles from the Flores airport in the evening which you can book (I believe at 6:30 and 8:30 pm) or you could of course take a taxi to Tikal. If you decide to stay in Flores I would pick Flores, not San Miguel. Flores is small but quaint and I have enjoyed some of the restaurants (and sometimes the street food). We did not need AC but that is indeed a personal choice.

Edited: 08 July 2018, 12:57
Germany
Level Contributor
241 posts
14 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to stay in flores???

Thank you for your feedback.

As I said, we will probably arrive in Flores at 9pm, so it will be too stressful to come to Tikal!

So we stay in Flores.

Since we are early 50 years we would rather a quiet and no party hotel!

Do not know now how and what Los Amigos is.

Would spend 40-50 USD per night!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
14,261 posts
330 reviews
267 helpful votes
4. Re: Where to stay in flores???

Yes, I was thinking earlier, like the 7pm flights I've been on. I'd look into the mid range options link, above - lots of great choices.

State of Rio de...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Where to stay in flores???

Getting on the loop since I'm going to Flores soon. I have a few questions:

1) I'm only going to Chikal for the day, i'm not interested in stay overnight, so I think the best option should be sleeps in Flores and take any tour to the park. But am I able to get a tour early in Flores, maybe 4am, i dont know, to watch the sunrise at the park?

2) than, I guess is better move to San Ignácio, since I was told that is better than Flores for young people, right ?

Thank you very much in advance

Cambridge
Level Contributor
81 posts
55 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: Where to stay in flores???

Since you arrive late, how about Hotel del Patio? It's on the mainland side and close to the airport. We stayed there this spring and the room was small but clean and had a good A/C. It is definitely not a party hotel type. In the morning we could walk to the downtown restaurants. The building is very pretty and has a nice pool too.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Where to stay in flores???

Alexandre, just in case the reason you are not interested in staying at Tikal is because it is too expensive... Apart from the 3 hotels you can also sleep in a hammock or tent (nice to be in the rainforest at night and hear and see animals at dawn). But you can certainly also stay in Flores and book a sunrise tour. You would leave the hotel at 3 am. For example:

http://amigoshostel.com/tours/tikal/

The sunrise tours are more about being in the rainforest early in the morning. Chances are there won't be a sunrise because it is often foggy but that is magical too and again, wildlife is active early in the morning as well.

Flores is quaint but small. I don't know if San Ignacio is better for young people but I am sure lots of young people go there (if you go maybe you will want to go to the ATM cave). It depends on the rest of your itinerary of course.

Toronto
Level Contributor
519 posts
7 reviews
102 helpful votes
8. Re: Where to stay in flores???

I endorse Post #6 recommendation of Hotel Del Patio. I drove into Flores late at night without a reservation for accommodation. After driving around I happened across Hotel Del Patio. It looked more upscale than the hotels that I would normally stay at when travelling solo- but, I was pleasantly surprised at its moderate price. The same company also owns the lake front resort across the street -- that is where I was told to park my vehicle overnight.

The restaurant at Hotel Del Patio was still open at 10 pm so, I was able to have a late dinner.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Where to stay in flores???

I was happy with Hotel Del Lago for around $50. Very nice room, although that can be the luck of the draw. Strong AC. Good location.

Reply to: Where to stay in flores???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted