We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night transportation from Flores to Tikal?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
1 helpful vote
Night transportation from Flores to Tikal?

Hello, I have a business trip to Guatemala and arrive on Saturday afternoon, I would like to take advantage of the weekend and go to Tikal and take the sunrise tour. I asked at the hotel I am staying (Jaguar Inn, inside the park) and they only gave 2 options the shuttle (3pm which I can't take) and a private car (65 USD).

I was wondering if there will be another cheaper option of going to Tikal from the airpot if I land at 18:30.

4 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
14,306 posts
330 reviews
267 helpful votes
1. Re: Night transportation from Flores to Tikal?

I think it will be a private driver at that hour, either arranged in advance or on the spot. It's about an hour from airport to the hotels in the park and the driver will have to make the round trip, so $65 isn't an unusual ask. You could email agencies to see if you can improve on that rate. Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:

Adrenalina Tours: http://www.adrenalinatours.com

Rainbow Travel: http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Quito, Ecuador
2 posts
2. Re: Night transportation from Flores to Tikal?

Thank you so much for you reply. I am travelling alone so making the trip at the hour has me double guessing myself. The other option would be to stay in flores for the night and book a sunrise tour that depart from flores. I think that price wise would be around the same amount of money...

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
14,306 posts
330 reviews
267 helpful votes
3. Re: Night transportation from Flores to Tikal?

Definitely better to wake up in the park if you're wanting a sunrise tour, I think. You'll need to purchase your tickets - both the general day pass and the sunrise ticket and arrange the guide, too. Maybe through the Jaguar Inn? You can't purchase tickets in the area of the hotels or the gate to the actual Maya site near there but you could possibly figure that out at GUA before flying north - any Banrural bank branch including the airport one will work.

If you decide to stay in Flores, I'd consider hiring a guide from there for an early morning but not sunrise tour - that way you could purchase your tickets at the main gate bank branch, opens (I think) at 6am. If you choose that path, consider Marlon Díaz - he could provide transport, too, in that case. www.gemtrips.com

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Night transportation from Flores to Tikal?

I believe the Jungle Lodge has a shuttle at 6:30 pm for $20. It might wait for the flight you are on (ask the Jungle Lodge and book a spot). They also have a shuttle at 8:30 pm which might be better. Or you can talk to other tourists on your flight and hopefully share a taxi.

I also like to stay overnight in Tikal. You can do the sunrise tour (book it through one of the hotels) or you can enter at 6 am when the park opens. I would also certainly buy the day pass (as well) as you will want to explore more after the sunrise tour if you decide to take it. I have heard that hotels can get tickets for you but you will have to ask your hotel about that as well or maybe you can indeed buy tickets when you arrive in GC. I believe there is also a Banrural at the Flores airport that is open till 7 pm.

Reply to: Night transportation from Flores to Tikal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted