We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

It is cheap, easy and pretty quick to cross from Tikal to Palenque on the El Ceibo border.

Tourists usually take a package with land and boats via Bethel for 350Q (45 USD), quite pricey.

Heres the trip we did:

0600 to 0630: El Remate to Flores / Santa Elena terminal. 20Q

0700 to 1100: Flores / Santa Elena to El Ceibo. Using mid size bus (not a small shuttle or big chicken bus or Pullman, in between). 50Q (could be 40Q, we may heve paid a tourist price as I only had a 100Q note for us both)

1100 to 1200: Cross Border

Easy, only so long as we chatted to staff as no other people using crossing. Guate side = change your remaining Qs before you leave! No fee to pay

Mex side, fill in the paperwork, then bag search by dog and staff. Walk out of the entrance (ignore 500 Peso private shuttle offer to Palen) and up road for few hundred metres to 2 Taco restaurants where the bus / taxis park up = if not there ask in the restaurant for the parrada autobus por Tenosique

1220 to 1320: El Ceibo to Tenosique. Uses a beat up old shuttle = make sure you ask to be dropped at the Transporte Palenque stop on the way in. 40 Pesos.

1320 to 1520: Tenosique to Palenque. Uses a modern, air con shuttle. 60 Pesos.

1520 + 1hr time zone = 1620.

Total = 70Q + 100 Pesos = $16

Thanks and happy travels!

19 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
11. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

Hello DarioMOVING,

yes, crossing the border took us more or less 2 hours. There was just one man to hand out the documents and stamp the passports and since a bus full of tourists arrived just before us, it took some time.

Yes, mini vans are waiting on the other side of the border to go to Tenosique. There are not visible after crossing the border. You need to walk. around 750meters.

There was only one "restaurant". So I am sure we are meaning the same place.

They will tell you if they drop you off at the bus station or not. If not, you have to take a tuktuk to get there.

And yes, the busses were clearly marked heading to "La Frontera/ El Ceibo":

If you are planning to take the private tour, it should work out. If not, just head for the bus station and there should be busses to El Naranjo junction. There you change to get to the border.

Greetings,

MGO

12. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

I did the trip. Before reaching FLORES I visited Antigua. First advice, in Guatemala airport only change the minimum amount of money you need until the next business day when banks are open and you can exchange there at a significantly better rate than the airport. Regarding road security, it is absurd to worry about it between Guatemala airport and Antigua because itvis a busy bumper to bumber freeway ride. The flights to Flores is really early in the morning and that is the part I felt uneasy as the 3 Am Antigua shuttle was late and then a girl who was supposed to travel wouldn't wake up. So I ended up the only person in the shuttle and the driver was unhappy. The freeway was deserted that early and it made for a scary ride. Regarding the shuttle from Flores to Tikal, pay no mind to security concerns. You travel in mini buses with 10 other people, so it makes no sense that it should get attacked. Ah, for Tikal get the guided tour. I went alone and I got lost. The trees cover the view of the pyramids so you lose the sense of direction. Download Google Maps offline for the area. There is no mobile coverage in Tikal. From Flores to Palenque I used Reino Kan agency. 250Q. They tried to sell me the trip through Corozal but I insisted in El Ceibo. A shuttle bus picked us up at 8:15. There was 6 of us plus the driver. Non stop drive until El Ceibo. We did the border crossing and indeed a Mexican shuttle was waiting for us on the other side. So good coordination by Reino Kan. The only bad part was that near Tenosique the Mexican driver decides that we must stop to eat. The restaurant which was not cheap was extremely slow serving. So an hour and a half was lost for the forced lunch break. Tegardin doing the trip on your own, I have some doubts. The village on the Mexican border is a good 3 miles away and I didn't see any colectivos at the village when we passed by. Not many people at the border for them to have enough custmers. I think the shuttle is a better idea. One last note. Have enough cash with you in Guatemala so that you don't have to use ATMs. I used one ATM protected by a guard. My account was charged 3 times then 2 were refunded. That is, no stealing, but some sort of transaction mess

Palenque, Mexico
1 post
13. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

Created an account just to respond to this! Thank you so much for this info it really helped me today.

A few things I found today:

-Santa Elana to El Ceibo : departs 645 am (be there at 630) - 50 Q (you don't buy a ticket for this bus - simply pay the driver)

-Everyone at the boarder was really friendly. Entrance fee to Mexico 500p (533 via credit card). It is possible to pay by card here!

El Ceibo to Palenque: 130p

*I was ready to take both local busses after crossing the boarder but was approached by a man driving one of the white vans from the border. He offered to take me to palenque for 500 p and I told him it would only cost 100p to take the local busses. He then offered to take me for 130p. Maybe because it is the shoulder season drivers simply don't want to drive back with an empty car? All that to say maybe try talking to the drivers at the border!

Hope this helps some more! Happy Travels :)

14. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 October 2018, 18:01
Edited: 04 October 2018, 18:01

15. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

G P
1 post
16. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

I'm going to make this trip on October 17th. I was able to secure a taxi with our hotel directly from Palenque to El ceibo by at least 1030am. The problem I'm having is that on the 20th we are doing the sunrise tour in Tikal and we want to leave right after to el ciebo. Can we take a taxi from Tikal or flores to el ciebo. Are the only buses that leave from Flores early in the morning? So my only option would be to take a taxi to the Border in order to be there by 330pm at least.

17. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

18. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

19. Re: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border

My boyfriend and I took this route last week and it was very confortable thanks to our agency. We booked with Crasborn agency, located in Flores, and talked via facebook. They arranged everything for our well-being.

We arrived at 9:30 at central station in Palenque with an ADO bus who arrived late. We asked Crasborn if there was still a way to go to Guatemala, he called the driver and than gave us the positive answer. The driver picked us up at 9:35 am and we arrived at the border about 11:45 am. Everybody immigrated then we changed the bus and made 3 hours to Flores. The way back was the same thing,we only took our seat at 8am in the bus and the rest was organized.The cost was Q530 per person. A good price, I would say. All in all it took us 6hours from door to door because one of us had a difficulty to immigrate and we waited for him. I absolutely recommend passing the border via an agency and I also recommend Crasborn, you can be sure of a good service!

Reply to: Flores (Tikal) to Palenque using El Ceibo border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted